add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PCIe adapter?

Memo1010
  • 23 months ago

I'm building a new computer, got a PCIe WiFi adapter. Problem is that the GPU is covering the only PCIe slot so now I seem to be screwed. However a PCI slot is still open, it says 'PCIEX4' next to it/ is there an adapter I can use?

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

it says 'PCIEX4' next to it/ is there an adapter I can use?

There is no need for an adapter. Connect the PCIE x1 WiFi adapter to the free PCIE x4 slot

It will work. ;)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, are you sure? The slot is a lot bigger than it is. I guess I can try it later

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a rule, that says:

PCIe cards can always operate in PCIe slots with the same or more lanes than the card.

So, it will (should) work. ;)

https://imgur.com/a/PzoYar9

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

any chance it will slow down the transfer speed? Still better that way then using my old, crappy USB adapter

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

No, it will not slow down anything.

First of all, all PCIe slots regardless the physical size, are using the same version of the PCIe protocol, so all are PCIe 3.0 slots.

Except the above, a PCIe x4 slot has four data lanes (that's what the x4 stands for) instead of only one of the PCIe x1 slot, thus having a greater data transfer rate. ;)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

nice. I'll try that sometime tomorrow. thanks

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

the open PCI slot... is it PCI or PCIe? if its PCIe but the slot is physically bigger than the component, then thats ok.

if its regular PCI then the component won't come close to fitting in the slot.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube