add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows freezes shortly after login

Memo1010
  • 23 months ago

title^ hard freeze, like I can't do anything at all Anyone know why?

Windows 8.1 I already tried booting in safe mode, that worked. I then went back to normal mode and it happened again. I also tried the 'refresh your PC' option which was supposed to check for corrupt files I guess, but it said it couldn't fix the issue. I'm pretty lost. Also sometimes when I turn it back on it turns off as its booting up, then I turn it back on and it works fine. Maybe it's an electrical issue? I'm pretty annoyed to bc its my old comp, and I was using it to try and troubleshoot my new one! Anyways it is my old one, but I am selling it to my brother so I need to get it to work, cause there's money invested in this

edit: can't think of anything that could cause this. I didn't change any settings in windows or the BIOS, or install anything, nothin'.

Update: It's working now! According to a guide I read online reseating components can help, and also resetting the CMOS battery. I just did both at once cause if one didn't work I didn't want to re-open it to try the other. At first it wasn't displaying anything but then I realized I had put in the GPU wrong :p, then it worked after doing some sort of Windows repair.

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

It might be overheating. Have you checked and cleaned the fans? The PSU could also be going bad.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

I''ll check. Also I sure hope its not the PSU, its a pre-built and the PSU can't be removed from the case! It is from 2011, but on the other hand its 80+ gold...

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

got it working now btw (if you are interested you can read the desc. which I'm about to update)

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Great glad it's working now. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube