add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU failed but now works?

Memo1010
  • 21 months ago

So, last night around midnight I was gaming, and suddenly my computer just shut off entirely. Typically when my computer is turned off my mouse still lights up, but it wasn't lit. A few days before I swapped out my out-dated, second hand PSU for a new one. Since it was late I figured I'd just go to bed and work on it in the morning. Well, now I went to work on it, and just decided to plug it back in and see if it works, and low and behold everything is fully operational and back to normal.

So the question is, should I be concerned about what happened? I'm not sure why it happened, but I think it is probably related to overheating. The airflow is pretty bad for the PSU right now, and to fix it would be a rather simple operation, but I really don't want to go through that effort...

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

My guess is the psu just tripped one of its protections, like Over Power Protection, Over temp, Over/under voltage, over current, short circuit protection. What is the model name of your old PSU?

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

this is the PSU I had. It is old and out of production, which is why I replaced it, it worked fine but I was afraid of it failing due to age, or worse, damaging the other components.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

It’s a pretty crappy unit. So I wouldn’t be surprised.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube