add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Game Dev/Software Dev Machine

darthfutuza
  • 23 months ago

Hello folks, been a while since I've been looking at the PC market so I could use some tips. :)

I'm a software developer looking to upgrade my personal machine. I generally use visual studio (mostly C++) and Unreal Engine for work/hobby stuff as well as a couple of other things occasionally like Blender, GIMP, or the Adobe Suite. Therefore, having several cores and lots of threads is a must for this build, but I also like playing games (hence the CPU choice) and don't want to sacrifice clock speed too much. I've given myself a budget of $2000 and as you can see I'm a little over, wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions without compromising too much. I'm in the United States, and won't need an OS or peripherals (though if you can find a nice 140hz monitor with a decent resolution and size that'd be a cool bonus). I'm not set on the 1080ti, but they're kinda nice. I also have a bit of time to sit on this so if you can suggest a better time to look at the market, that would also be a helpful.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor $668.90 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $94.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard $323.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory $165.98 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $120.90 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba - P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card $719.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - RMx 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2264.73
Mail-in rebates -$50.00
Total $2214.73
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-19 11:45 EDT-0400

(The HDD is listed as $0 as I already own it).

Comments

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

This is just about the most the price can be reduced without reducing performance

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Threadripper 1920X 3.5GHz 12-Core Processor $668.90 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $94.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock - X399 Taichi ATX TR4 Motherboard $323.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $159.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage ADATA - Ultimate SU800 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $105.99 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba - P300 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Turbo Video Card $719.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2203.83
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $2173.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-19 12:36 EDT-0400

That being said, I would strongly consider going with a less powerful processor. For my job and education I have to do a lot of coding and 3D modeling, and 3D modeling definitely takes the cake in terms of processing required. Yet, I rock a 2700x and it absolutely kills it. If you drop down to that, you'll be saving $300 with no change in ability to process the stuff you'll be doing.

I also went ahead and upgraded the RAM to DDR4-3200 for a faster and less expensive build

Best of luck!

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks, yeah I might have to take a hit to the processor - but maybe I can justify future proofing it a little. The reason I picked that particular RAM was because it'd be easier to upgrade to 32GB later with another stick, without wasting slots on smaller sticks, but tbh it'll probably be quite a while before I need to upgrade so its probably better to just go with the faster cheaper RAM.

• 23 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah, future proofing is not a bad idea, you'll just have to be over your budget a little bit. As far as the RAM is concerned, consolidating generally a good idea; however, this specific mobo has 8 slots, so even if you only ever got 8gb sticks, you could fit 64gb of RAM (way more than you'd ever need). Imo even if you only had 4 slots I'd probably stick (no pun intended) with the 2x8.

• 23 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh also I changed it to 850W power supply. 1000 is major overkill if you're trying to save a few bucks

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube