add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I use my old laptop's activation key?

SirDiamondNipples
  • 21 months ago

Hello I'm finally building my new pc in a couple of days. And I don't want to spend 120 dollars on windows nor do I have that money. Is it possible to reuse the key from my old laptop that has Windows 10 on it? Is it possible to just use the key? or do I take the HDD out with the OS on it and install it into the new PC then install Windows into the new PC's SSD and have it activated with the key? Is it possible and if so whats the easiest way to go about it? Also will the OS on my old laptop just be deactivated? Thank you :)

Comments

• 21 months ago
  • 2 points

Microsoft OEM Software Licensing: Rules & Restrictions:

OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed...

You can check for yourself by reading your own MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS in your laptop.

• 21 months ago
  • 1 point

This is correct. You'll need to buy a new license unless you did not buy a OEM version of Windows for the original laptop.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube