add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question about Windows Download Keys

6o9
  • 20 months ago

I've seen in the system builder that Windows 7-10 are starting at around $100 and was really confused, because I had thought they were almost dirt cheap, so I am just wondering why they are expensive. I live in the US by the way.

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

The OS download itself is free, and you will be missing some personalization features and you will have a watermark in the corner if you do not activate(enter a key).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO/

The only legitimate way to buy keys is either a full 32/64 bit copy or an OEM lisence, which do cost in the $100 range.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

If you're a student your university may offer a cheaper license for the education edition (essentially its the same as the enterprise edition), for usually 75-90% off depending on the school/country. I would look into that if you are a student.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

If you still have your login to your university store, you are likely eligible as well.

Sometimes, they will even have it for free, but typically it's $5-10.

Also, that notion last year about it not supporting the latest NVidia GPU driver has been resolved as all OnTheHub distributions now have the 1703 build of Windows.

https://onthehub.com/download/free-software/windows-10-education-for-students/

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

They aren't expensive, that is the normal price. Maybe you have looked at the scammy grey market sites

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "General > General Discussion" to "Software > Operating Systems".

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Microsoft holds the copyright on Windows. Copyright law grants you a monopoly on copying and distributing things for which you hold the copyright.

Therefore, the only sanctioned source for Windows is Microsoft itself (and its authorized resellers), and Microsoft charges around US$100.00 per copy.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

The dirt cheap ones are likely stolen or otherwise not legitimate. I'd only trust keys purchased from legitimate retailers (note: not Amazon Marketplace or Newegg Marketplace sellers) or directly from Microsoft.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube