add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My high school was hacked.

PhantomStorm
  • 20 months ago

I was just working at my job in IT and I got an email from a friend of mine with the subject 'I shared a file with you' and a bunch of adobe info in the body. I never opened the email, because it looked a bit weird. We are on a robotics team together so we send a lot of CAD files and such, but usually he'll title the message based on what the file is, for example 'lead screw lift system file backup' or 'current reserve parts inventory'

I decided to send him a text about it, and it turns out, there was a hack on our student emails.

Looking back about a day before, there was a message from our school helpdesk sent a day before I got the message from my friend mentioning a virus.

but that begs the question, who the hell would hack a bunch of student emails at a high school? Out of all the things they could have hacked, they chose the student emails?

Comments

• 20 months ago
  • 3 points

could be a person who gets paid by companies for having people hit their landing page and that "adobe" link is just a link to some companies marketing landing page.

Pretty common. Kids are a good demographic to pick because they will actually click the link.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

good idea. I never clicked on the adobe link, but I also get the feeling it could be some disguised files. Pretty common in hacks like this. It may look like a pdf, but it is actually an exe.

• 20 months ago
  • 2 points

Hackers generally don't target individual schools unless there is some sort of high value target they are specifically going after. Most of the time they just take the nuke approach and try to hack EVERYTHING they can get their hands on. Viruses are rarely written with a specific target in mind and will just go after anything it encounters with the targeted vulnerability. If the high school was hacked, its a sign that their security practices were not up to date and they exposed a vulnerability that a virus was able to take advantage of. It could also have happened from a stupid administrator who unintentionally installed malware or let themselves fall prey to a phishing scheme.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Probably some bored students.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

could be, but I don't think any of my classmates would attack their own school, they'd attack a rival school, but that does indicate that it could be students at rival school hacking us, though I doubt the capabilities of the students at either school to launch even a basic hack like this.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

any .edu address or .gov address is considered a target. if your school gave you a .edu address, then electronically some bot likely sees you the same as a college student, administrator, or teacher.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

Woah, one of my friends just told me this exact same story. hmm.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

What are his initials? If that's true, I may know him

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

CW. He goes to a school in Tennessee.

• 20 months ago
  • 1 point

ah, I live in Cincinnati ohio so I doubt we know each other. I wonder if the hacks came from the same people.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube