add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I Don't Understand the Internet

darthfutuza
  • 22 months ago

So I've lately gotten more and more aware that I know less and less about networking and the internet in general and have gotten more curious, but don't really know where to start. I'm really confused about how ISPs work and the internet in general. How does one become an ISP? Who controls the connections between countries? Why are regional monopolies allowed in the United States? While I understand the network layer fairly well with the OSI model, I don't understand how the internet functions as a single joined entity without a central hub. Who controls the DNS servers and how do people decide on who gets to be a DNS server. What prevents someone from deciding they want to host their own DNS server and start telling everyone who connects to it that google.com should go to getmoreviruses.com's ip address instead? How do domain names themselves actually work, what is ICANN and why do they have authority internationally to control who owns a specific domain? How does a group become an internet registrar? What allows me to sell domain names to other people? Are their political disputes over domain names where countries threaten each other over legal action over who gets to control things like europe.com? How the heck does any of this work without falling apart at the drop of a hat, when two countries have a disagreement about who gets to control what on the internet? Why is domain name squatting a thing and how do companies who sell and buy domains get away with such abhorrent shady practices so often? Thanks in advanced, sorry I'm an idiot and don't understand this.

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response. I'm still a bit fuzzy on DHCP and how DNS servers are authorized/trusted. What prevents someone from making malicious DNS servers that try to change the Central Registry? There are apparently 13 sets of root servers, but what's the process for becoming one of those servers? Same thing with TLD servers, how does one become one and retain that position? I'm not talking so much from a legal standpoint as a practical one, what prevents a malware author from forcing everyone to consult a fake TLD server and be given incorrect information or something along those lines? Apparently there's some sort of Authoritative Answer (AA) bit that can be set in replies to queries to indicate that the response is "authoritative", but why can't that just be spoofed?

[comment deleted]
  • 22 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds good, I might have to hit up r/explainthislikeimfive

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube