add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help choosing a versatile headset

CoyoteSly

8 months ago

Hi all, this is my first foray into audio hardware and I don't know much, so please forgive me if I'm making outrageous/unrealistic demands.

I'm looking for headphones that:

-can be used for multiple platforms (PC, Switch, phone, PS4)

-is good for FPS gaming (like being able to tell where footsteps are coming from, I think this is 7.1 or something?)

-is good for listening to music/movies (doesn't need to be top of the line, though)

-possibly wireless (I will accept wired if it means I get all the other features)

-has volume control on the headset (but not on the cable if wired)

-has decent mic (used for comms, not recording, must not pick up on background noises or have echo)

I don't have a budget; I'd appreciate having a range of options but I understand being this specific likely raises the price point. I've seen terms like "open/closed back" and "warm sounds" but I don't have experience with what those are to have an opinion on them. I've read that it's often better to get good headphones and supplement them with a standalone mic, but I'm worried that a standalone mic will be too high-quality for my purposes. I game in a loud area and I don't wanna blow out people's eardrums when my dog decides to warn us the apocalypse is coming in the form of the mailman.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

I think the Corsair void pros are pretty nice, and pretty versatile as well. you can get a wireless pair for about 20 bucks more. they have dolby 7.1 surround sound so the audio is great, and the mic is pretty clear as well. There is audio control on the headset itself on both the wireless and wired version. There is a wired version that has a 3.1 jack that plugs into usb adapter; just make sure you get the right one...

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I currently use the Sennheiser PC37X from Massdrop, it's sounds pretty good for a headset but mic flip mute is doesn't work half the time now. But it does have a volume wheel and it's at a good price. Personally after using a few gaming headsets over the years I'm not sure I will get another.

If you have the money I think you would be better off in the long run getting good pair of headphones and use whatever mic you can attach to them. You can use a v-moda pro or modmic and turn any headphones into a headset.

For headphones you need to figure out if you want open or closed back, they affect the sounds stage but I will stick to basics. Closed back are great if you want to block out the noise of your surrounding environment, which may distract you while gaming. While open back you will hear all the loud noises happening in your home around you, maybe not as much at really high volumes though. They will also leak sound allowing anyone nearby able to hear what you are listening to if it's loud and they are close enough. Main reason to get open back is they sound more natural and well... open. Both work for gaming, it's really up to what you want.

If you need a dac/amp for the headphones route I would check into the Mayflower Arc. It's supposed to work with PC, PS4, and Xbox One. Thought the Xbox One needs a few more steps and wires to make it work with chat. I haven't used it personally but it seems like a better audio setup then any of the gaming brands, though it isn't cheap. I plan on getting one eventually but first I need to finishing buying a new speaker setup for my PC.

For headsets the Sennheiser PC37X is probably the best you can get for the price. But if you have deeper pockets and want something better then go for a pair of headphones with an added mic.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the in-depth reply, it's very helpful! I have a better idea of what to look for now. It sounds like my best bet will be to do the headphone/added mic set up. Thanks again!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Im to tired to deal with this one, someone else can chip in first.

Obligatory PC37X recommendation in your place

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube