add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Worst computer you've ever bought?

VapidDarkness

13 months ago

What is the worst computer you have ever bought?

Today my friend bought a pc for $220 from some guy off craigslist. It was originally listed at $650 and said it had a i3 7100 and a gtx 1070, but that was not the case. The guy said he tried booting the pc and it didn't turn on so he offered my friend $220 and he bought it.

When we finally got the pc home we found out it was infested with roaches everywhere. It took forever to clean them out and we just decided to ditch the case since it was some cheap ibuypower case. We also found out the GPU was actually a 1050 ti, but all and all it wasn't a bad deal minus the roaches.

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 16 points

It was originally listed at $650 and said it had a i3 7100 and a gtx 1070, but that was not the case...it was some cheap ibuypower case.

Have you tried getting back in touch with the seller about it, or are they unappRoachable?

• 13 months ago
  • 5 points

Every day, Philip is getting closer to just banning your account, I swear to god.

• 12 months ago
  • 5 points

I'd be careful with that kind of talk. You wouldn't want to encRoach on staff matters.

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

10/10

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

11/10 would review again.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

OOF

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 13 months ago
  • 3 points

I bought a E machine in 1999, need i even say more

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Circa 2006 E-Machine with Windows Vista....I feel your pain.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 98, but i put Windows 2000 on it. and used it to run a few always on programs like my AIM, Yahoo Messenger, My IRC client and ICQ

It made it a little better having windows 2000, but not by much

• 13 months ago
  • 3 points

My last gaming PC had an FX 6300, RX 550 2 GB, 8 GB of RAM, and an Asrock 970M Pro3 stuffed inside a Raidmax case. Fallout 4 was sort of playable on it, but only at 720p at low settings, medium with the help of a driver update. (Which was a painful process because I had to go to AMD’s support site, put in my GPU model, and then MANUALLY find the right drivers for it) Minecraft with shaders even brought my RX 550 to its knees. If there’s a few things I absolutely hated about it, for starters the power button was in a stupid place that was vulnerable to getting bumped if you weren’t careful, and the airflow of the case was terrible, 1 exhaust fan and no intakes, so my CPU and GPU both got suffocated when under a load. Fortunately, I was able to fix the problem by removing the thin sheet blocking my intake reducing my GPU temperature under load from 70C to 65C, but my parents got mad at me for doing that, and I have still been mad at them to this day for getting me that piece of garbage PC with horrible airflow, before I made the switch to the PC i have now that I’m currently in love with at the moment that absolutely crushes whatever I throw at it with no issues. I can easily handle Fallout 4 at ultra settings at 1080p, and even Fallout 76 at those same settings. The specs of my current PC are in my profile. I love the fact that I have Nvidia’s Geforce Experience software pre-installed so updating drivers is nearly painless. Having the latest GPU drivers automatically sent out to me rather than having to find them manually is a godsend for me. I also love the fact that Nvidia even did their research on the most optimal settings for all the games I play so I don’t have to manually spend eternity tweaking settings and editing configuration files just to get high FPS. I know Nvidia’s CEO will probably never see this, but congratulations, you pretty much have yourself a customer for life.

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

There goes my breakfast. Thanks! /s

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry mate :)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Roaches are absolutely disgusting.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

You're damn right about that.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

When I switched my PC over from AMD to Intel, i used some leftover parts and got an i7-7700K and GTX 1080. Now the 1080 was great but let me tell you, the 7700K was the worst POS CPU I’ve ever worked with. This $330 example of everything wrong with Intel was terrible, it thermal throttled stock on a 240mm AIO. I throubleshooted this thing multiple times and it came down to the chip just being junk. On top of that the mobo I had wouldn’t let me OC even tho it was a Z board.

AMD doesn’t get off Scott free either. I had TWO Vega 64s that would not work correctly with my PC no matter what I did, release drivers were SO BAD. Atleast now my current 56 works great.

Worst full build I bought was this HP tower I wanted to strip down for parts, all proprietary. Only thing I got out of it was the 2200G, 4GB of Ram and 1TB HDD. So much for the mobo or anything else. Even reusing the case was impossible as the PSU was junk so no GPU.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Damn, and I thought I lost the silicon lottery hard xd. I had an air cooler (cryorig r1) and stock, I didn't thermal throttle. I ended up deciding but even then, my temps weren't amazing. I would reach 65-70c avg on stock clocks, and attempting to overclock at all would force me to use 1.375V, and running it at 4.8 and 5.0GHz would send me to 95c, no thermal throttle though. Still not my ideal temps, but yeah, I'm surprised you're thermal throttling with an aio.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Im pretty sure the chip was a dud, Im glad I dumped it for Ryzen. Put me off from ever buying Intel again.

• 12 months ago
  • 3 points

I also plan on dumping Intel and switching over to Ryzen because I’m tired of having to upgrade every 6 months or so rather than ~4 years

• 12 months ago
  • 3 points

Yeah but your i7-8600 will last you for a good amount of time. I don’t see the need to switch to Ryzen now. Best to just wait and then switch to the newest arch by then so you get the most out of your system.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

The worst computers I've ever bought were pre-builts back in the day.

The first pre-built was an e-machines computer with an Intel Pentium 3, it was an absolutely atrocious machine that could not game and would crash on Windows 98 constantly. Running GTA 3 on 10 fps is NOT okay.

Later switched to an HP Pavilion pre-built, it had an Amd Athlon and was decent, but the constant bloatware and tendency to get infected with viruses was enough to swear off pre-builts.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Worst computer I ever owned was an old asus laptop that had a huge design flaw in the cooling solution. It would overheat and shutdown after an hour only using chrome.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought a micro sized PC to match the size of my...

It weighed about 2.7 pounds and was no bigger than my, EVGA 1 fan 1050ti.

• It came with a Pentium processor that was so obscure i couldn't find any details on it on wikipedia or intels website. It was a dual core with 2 threads at 1.7GHz with no turbo boost.

• 2GB Ram.

• Intel integrated graphics low power edition, because the power of regular integrated graphics was too much for that piece of s... to handle.

• 32GB hard drive at 5200RPM with the OS taking up around 27GB.

• No fan, but lots of noise.

• 1 power button, 2 USB 2.0, one of which broke after a month. HDMI that looked cheap, if that makes any sense.

• This PC was so bad that any monitor past 1920 x 1080 wouldn't load and it couldn't play videos past 480P on youtube.

• The only game that i owned at the time that would load on the PC (because this was my daily driver until march of 2018 ) was Stardew Valley, which probably explains why i have like 200 hours on that darn game!

• Bloatware that took up 3GB ( mostly just McAfee and some minor trash

I bought this PC for around $300 from Dell right before black Friday back in 2017.I was able to benchmark my PC with my phone and on average it took 19.5 minutes to boot up windows and 5.7 minutes to open my browser (chrome).

I eventually upgraded to a much better Dell PC [ List for those who care] ( PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Other Intel Pentium N3700 Quad Core ( 1.5GHz ) Purchased
Other 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM Purchased
Other DVD drive i only used once Purchased
Other Generic 80MM case Fan Purchased
Other Intel stock cooler Purchased For $1.00
Other Generic Dell Mobo ( no slot for GPU sadly ) Purchased
Other Generic Dell Case ( closer to micro atx in size ) Purchased
Other Not 80+ certified 300W Power Supply Unit Purchased
Other 900GB ( not 1TB ) Hard Disk Drive Purchased
Other Decent Wifi chip for a cheap Dell PC Purchased
Other All of Dells iconic bloatware ( free 30 day trial Mcafee antivirus software i cannot get rid of ) Purchased
Other Windows 10 Purchased
Other How much i spent on the whole system Basically Purchased For $298.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $299.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-30 16:16 EST-0500

Back in March of 2018 which brought me into the modern era and i was able to watch youtube videos at a crisp 720p without causing crashes.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

A €1300 laptop with i7 7700hq (WHY?!!) 16 GB ram (WHY?!!) And GTX 1050, because all the money was spent on the overkill processor and double the needed ram.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

The worst computer I've bought would be this:

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - 5350 2.05 GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $38.00
Motherboard ASRock - AM1B-ITX Mini ITX AM1 Motherboard Purchased For $35.00
Memory Patriot - 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $18.00
Storage SanDisk - SSD PLUS 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $42.99
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2 GB Video Card Purchased For $101.99
Case Cooler Master - Elite 110 Mini ITX Tower Case Purchased For $37.29
Power Supply EVGA - 430 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For $33.39
Other Spare Hard Drive Purchased
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $306.66
  • 12 months ago
  • 1 point

iMac. It was initially a great computer, definitely not the base model. We paid a lot for the machine. Not even a year in we get repeated kernel panics (Mac BSODs) and eventually the thing doesn't even boot into safe mode. (yes, it exists on macOS!) Hauled the machine to the "genius" bar and they tell us the initial diagnosis will take 1-3 days. A week later they say the mobo died and it's a 400 dollar fix. We walked out of there with a broken 2500 dollar doorstop and settled on a 5 year old HP laptop we've had for a while. Still use it to this day; a great machine.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

hp stream 11.

intel celeron at 1.5ghz 2gbs ddr3 ram (not sure what speed) 30hrz screen 20 gbs of storage

and for some reason the computer was reserving 1.7 gb of the ram for something

price? $200

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I didnt buy it but my family did, they paid £600 for a Dell 1010 Mini in 2009 that had an Atom N520 single core cpu and walked Windows Xp because Ran is giving it too much credit

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube