add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero worth the extra $100?

CoyoteSly
  • 15 months ago

I'm looking at three boards for my build: the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero ($272), the ASUS Prime Z390-A ($175), and the MSI MPG Edge AC ($180). From what I can tell, the Prime is a 4-phase VRM and has an inferior sound card, so the price difference makes sense. I don't know what's different between the Maximus and the MSI boards, though. I wouldn't mind saving a yard note and putting it to peripherals instead, but I'm worried that I'll be getting what I paid for and I'm simply not educated enough to figure out which of the spec differences is adding to the price tag.

Here's my build out so far, in case it's relevant somehow: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Rosewill - 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
Headphones Astro - A50 + Base Station PS4 7.1 Channel Headset Purchased For $0.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-01-01 01:49 EST-0500

Comments

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Get either the MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC or even the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero

The ASUS Prime Z390-A is most probably a 4+1 phase board, the MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC a 5+1 phase board and lastly the ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero is a 4+2 phase board.

• 15 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the advice. Other than the phase board, is there any significant differences between the MSI and the ASUS Hero?

• 15 months ago
  • 2 points

Both should be capable for overclocking an i7-9700K to 5.0GHz if the chip can handle that, so it's up to you.

I want only to mention, that $180 for the MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC is a fair amount of money.

The ASUS with almost $90 more, not that much. lol

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube