add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

eBay seller is threating legal action

TheGamingBible
  • 16 months ago

So I bought a factory seconds monitor from eBay for $500 AUD cheaper than its RRP - I bought it for $450. I received the monitor and immediately noticed scratching. I thought since it was a narrow scratch it'd disappear when the monitor is turned on, I was right. Now that one problem was solved I found another, there was extremely bad backlight bleed and corners were brighter than the center even if I moved. I thought I might as well ask to send it back as I would be doing color work with the monitor and I shouldn't put up with this. I messaged the seller and told them my issues. No reply. Messaged days later. No reply. Eventually I had to go to eBay and I explained the situation, the seller wouldn't talk to them either. eBay support then said to ship the monitor back to the address and once it shows delivered I'd get my refund, sweet. I packed up the monitor into its original box and used bin liners to cover up the box. I took it to my local post office with the prepaid return slip and sent it. Days later I got my money back and never heard from the seller.... Until...

A week later I get an email from the seller saying they've 'known what I've done'. I thought they must be a nutcase when I saw what was included in the message, images of the monitor box partially destroyed with weights in it. they claimed that I didn't send the monitor back, only weights... I've been emailing them since and now he says he's going to 'open a criminal case against my name'. He said if I just pay him back he'll forget about it. I told him to take the packaging to his local post office and fill out a PM26 form, the standard form for packages received either missing or damaged. He said no and that I was trying to timewaste. eBay told me not to worry but I am. What am I going to do? What can be do? He doesn't have any evidence that I've done anything and quite frankly I think he's just trying to get his money back. Maybe some of you can provide Australia focused legal advice? I had to tell someone about this ****. It's a Samsung 27" curved monitor CHG70.

Comments

• 16 months ago
  • 2 points

I've been emailing them since and now he says he's going to 'open a criminal case against my name'. He said if I just pay him back he'll forget about it. I told him to take the packaging to his local post office and fill out a PM26 form, the standard form for packages received either missing or damaged. He said no and that I was trying to timewaste. eBay told me not to worry but I am. What am I going to do?

Dont worry, keep a ticket open with eBay, I believe you have their full legal backing in this. This guys is trying to scare you into paying. He got that monitor back and set that up to accuse you of doing it. As long as you have all the documents you need to prove you sent it back, you'll be fine. This guy is trying to scam you.

If you're still worried I would suggest speaking to an attorney. You can also post this on r/legaladvise and you'll probably get a much more detailed response then I can give.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

the internet, where theres a whole subreddit devored to legal advice

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

There's literally subreddits for anything you can think of lol

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

hmmmm. .. is there a subreddit about cheese fetishes?

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 16 months ago
  • 2 points

He is just talking ****, ignore him. He just wants to scam you. Also if the AU is anything like the US he can't open a criminal case against you, that is something only the police/the judicial system can do. Tell him to politely **** off,cut off all farther communication with him, and block his ***. He is clearly trying to scam you since he isn't wanting to go to the post office. He is just hoping he scares you enough that you will pay up, he gets paid and gets to keep the monitor, and then he can repeat the scam.

If you want more detailed legal advice go to r/AusLegal (r/legaladvice is US focused and will tell you to go r/AusLegal since they can help you better)

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

“'open a criminal case against my name'. He said if I just pay him back he'll forget about it.”

This is a very common scamming technique. I don’t know about Australia’s laws though, sorry.

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

You can can take legal action against anyone for almost any reason. That dont mean the court will even remotely take it serious.

There is several cases of people even trying to take god to court (it never worked out).

• 16 months ago
  • 1 point

Either ignore him or tell him to **** off with his lying ***. Don't worry, you're fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube