add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Business Travel computer (travel often, stay for 3 weeks...)

yawumpus

12 months ago

I'm expecting to accept an offer for a job that involves a lot of travel. The normal assumption is to buy a notebook, but you don't bother with pcpartpicker.com if you want the 'first thing you see' option. I'm wondering just how much mini/portable computer I can put in carry-on baggage (preferable, I assume it is safer that way).

Any big problems with TSA screening (other than the obvious bit about them trying to figure out how to cover all those "missed payment fees")? Will I have to have at least one monitor in carryon just to prove it boots? I'm guessing an "engineer's fix [kludge]" to the heat issue by having water lines run outside the case might not pass... Note that this computer may have to go through the line 20 times, so I'd have to expect to get the worst 5% of TSA agents at some point (I didn't even think about this before 9/11 and simply carried a toolbox that didn't have any knives [I got hassled for it, but always managed to bring it along]).

I'd assume AIO waterblocks (unless they really don't like low pressure: cabin pressure should be half that of Denver) simply as I don't plan on giving enough room for adequate airflow (I'd rather re-assemble the thing with the radiators outside the case, but that might look too "hackish" to pass the TSA screening). I'd assume that with a slightly-larger-than absolute mini-ITX (as long as it fits in carryon with other required carryon [TBD] stuff, that is enough) I should be able to get nearly full-desktop performance (time to build a NAS for my old spinning hard drives: might want a single 4TB 3.5" in the portable, or possibly RAID a few 2.5" spinning drives in the unlikely event the motherboard has the headers).

The monitor situation sounds tricky, but 3 monitors together (the old eyefinity trick: even if I'd use a nvidia card) should work well and be more compact.

I'm guessing that the real trick would be finding a case/powersupply combination that works well. Airflow will also be tricky, even with AIO watercooling.

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube