• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

ICTav8r 2 months ago

Looking for a PSU for a PC I'm spec'ing out and having a hard time deciding between these two PSUs...they both sound really good, get great reviews, and have 10-yr warranties.

• Seasonic Focus Plus 850w Gold - $105
  • EVGA SuperNova G3 850w Gold - $100

My tentative build will have the i5-9600k, MSI MEG Z390 ACE, 32GB 3200 RAM, and some form of 2080 Ti.

The parts list shows the power draw just over 400w, however, eventually I'm planning on running some kind of VR headset, and I've heard they draw a bit of power. I want plenty of headroom.

Thanks!

Comments Sorted by:

vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 2 months ago

The Focus is the better choice. Its quieter and its protections trigger points (correct word?) aren't set as high as the G3.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 2 months ago

A headset wouldn't draw from the computer PSU, though, would it? Anyway, I'm somewhat partial to Seasonic, but either PSU will be fine.

ICTav8r submitter 1 point 2 months ago

Hmm, well, I certainly don't know much about this stuff, but pretty sure that's what one of the guys on another forum said. He just said that the VR stuff (Occulus Rift, etc) can be power hungry. I really don't know, lol. But thanks anyway for the Seasonic vote. I've heard a lot of good about their PSUs.

LostElement 7 Builds 1 point 2 months ago

It would draw from your PSU. That's what the 5vSB rail is for.

mark5916 1 point 2 months ago

And adding to what vagabond139 stated about these PSUs, a Corsair RMx would be the best choice.

So like the one below.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

And you definitely don't need a 850 Watt PSU.

ICTav8r submitter 1 point 2 months ago

Thanks for the input, everyone!

[comment deleted]