PCPartPicker

• Register

$2500 to spend: Excessive Workstation/VR/Gaming Machine - Thoughts?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Magic815 9 days ago

Ok, so first off I completely agree a lot of these choices are excessive, but I've got $3000 of funds from work for a PC refresh, and its "use it or lose it." I'm setting aside $500 for the monitor, so that leaves roughly $2500 for the machine itself. I want the best I can get for $2500, that will last me as long as possible.

What it will be for: Physics simulations for work (which will want 32GB of RAM), VR/Gaming for home (hence the 9900k and RTX2080)

This is the list I've come up with: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $499.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $151.16 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $275.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $244.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $297.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card $789.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ B&H
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $82.90 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2462.99
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $2442.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-12 00:18 EST-0500

For the Motherboard, I've read that the VRM leaves a lot to be desired with overclocking. Would the Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming or the Gigabyte Aorus Master be better options for a Motherboard?

For the AIO, I was also considering the Corsair H115i Pro RGB. I've read that while the Kraken looks cooler, the CAM software is garbage. Thoughts on what I should get?

For the SSD, I've decided that NVMe is not worth the premium for my usage. Is there any benefit to M.2 (non-NVMe) vs SATA with the 860 Evo? I guess I just don't need a SATA cable with the M.2 approach? Any concerns with fitting the M.2 SSD and the RTX2080?

Would there be a better version/brand of the RTX 2080 for me to go with?

Any issues with the H500i case and these beastly components? I know the 9900k runs hot, and the H500i has a solid front wall, so I didn't know if airflow and cooling would be an issue.

Would you say the power supply is sized right?

Anything about my build you would change?

Comments Sorted by:

dwang040 2 Builds 1 point 9 days ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $499.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $151.16 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $259.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $239.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $347.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card $789.99 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C White TG ATX Mid Tower Case $89.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply BitFenix - Whisper M 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ SuperBiiz
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $2479.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-12 11:33 EST-0500

I didn't really change much, just some minor details. Call it another "version" or "variant" of your original build. I don't see much to change personally.

CAM: The cam software is garbage. But maybe not in the sense you thought. It's garbage because the ui is janky (sometimes you hit X but the program doesn't close, sometimes you hit expand, but nothing happens), but that's it. Other than that, it works just fine. Yes, I don't own a nzxt cooler, I mainly use it to monitor temps, and I used to use it for overclocking, but ended up changing to msi afterburner for more options.

Motherboard: The gene is still a good choice. The main reason I chose this is because the gigabyte board has amazing vrm as you mentioned (https://youtu.be/v5NDtS8za8g?t=977) and the issue with aio's is that the vrms don't get cooled as "well" as with a fan cooler or water block with vrm cooling. I would assume that the cooling solution gigabyte has implemented should help a bit with the vrm temps. But again, the choice is yours on this one as both motherboards are great (I should mention gigabyte's bios is trash compared to asus but hey I've owned 2 gigabyte boards, and I've done bios updates and overclocked on them. They just work, nothing more, nothing less).

RAM: I was never into the rgb ram. Always thought that the motherboard itself had "enough rgb." Maybe that's why my framerates are so low (jokes)...

SSD: So, m.2 is just a form factor. The only "pro" to it over a 2.5 drive is that you don't have any cables to deal with (no sata cables, no psu cables). That's why I personally picked the 860 evo m.2, just cause it's less cable management. If you did want to save some cash, the wd blue (m.2 and 2.5), crucial (2.5), 860 evo (2.5) are all good options for a bit less.

GPU: The asus will be do you just fine. The lightning is another option if you're interested in other models, but again, both cards are equally amazing and will do a great job at cooling and performance.

CASE: Yeah, you're right that the h500's cooling potential is on the lackluster side as I believe it only vents from the bottom and right side only. Front, top, and left side are fully closed. That's not to say you'll thermal throttle or drop temps. None the less, I picked a Fractal Design Meshify C if you're worried about heat issues. Both are great cases, the Meshify will have a bit better temps, but they say NZXT have a bit better cable management.

PSU: 750W will be more than enough for you. You even have a lot of headroom to overclock with it (though your temps may not like it). Traded the G3 out for a bitfenix. I was informed that the G3 lacks some voltage protections that other psu's have (RMx, Focus Gold+, Whisper M). But yeah, if you wanted to reach that $2500 budget closer, one of those three models I mentioned will work. I personally own the bitfenix and it's great. Quieter than my 2 seasonic psu, the motherboard cable is a bit odd, but other than that, just perfect.

Magic815 submitter 1 point 9 days ago

Awesome, thanks for the info! Glad to hear I'm close here and really just hashing out the details. I'll take all your comments/suggestions into consideration! A couple people have flagged the G3 PSU, so I'll plan to drop that.

Magic815 submitter 1 point 9 days ago

One thing I found when digging. It sounds like the Kraken x62's radiator can't fit in front of the Meshify-C without cutting/bending metal. So folks either do that, or they connect the AIO radiator to the top, which would then need to be a Kraken x52 (240mm).

What do you think would be better? A Kraken x62 on the front of the H500i? Or a Kraken x52 on the top of a Meshify-C?

See here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/943778-kraken-in-meshify-c/

dwang040 2 Builds 1 point 8 days ago

Oof, sorry about that. Plainly assumed it would fit. Glad you found that out beforehand but strange... Fractal claims it'll support up to 280 (144mm width) and the x62 is 143mm wide...

I still think (though I don't have any data to back up my claim comparing the two exact configurations) an x62 is the better choice (280mm vs 240mm rad). You can look at the http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2662-nzxt-kraken-x52-x62-x42-review-and-benchmarks-noise-temp/page-2 and you'll see that the x62 outperforms while also having the fans spin at slower rpm (so quieter also). I mean, there are many builds with the x62 and nzxt cases (I do believe many of their cases have that limiting front panel but don't see many complaints regarding temps yet).

.... my link texts just aren't working today...

Magic815 submitter 1 point 8 days ago

Yea, I think what hid it was that it can support 140mm fans, but then states a a 140mm radiator is the max. It's probably something with the right MoBo, it could be made to squeeze. I think overall, I'm leaning towards the H500i. Either that, or I go with a larger case than both the H500i and Meshify-C, to ensure it's got tons of airflow and room for a 280mm+ radiator.

While looks aren't everything, it's hard for me to resist. Do you have any concerns with this PSU? The white (2018 version) with the case would look ballin': https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JHRLXWG/?tag=pcpapi-20&th=1

Regarding case it'll be up to you. Can't think of too many white cases out there as I haven't built a new pc/ part searched in a while. But a 280rad would be suggested definetly for a 9900k.

The rmx is a great unit. Though, it'll probably be hidden by a psu shroud which is a shame.

TARUNRMAROONR 1 point 8 days ago

Why is ur ram so expensive for 16gb?

It's 32GB, 2 x 16GB

TARUNRMAROONR 1 point 8 days ago

Oh ok. Then it's fine