add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Air or water for Pentium D 965?

codezer0

3 months ago

preface: it's a project pc. Not meaning to use it for anything major, let alone a daily driver.

System in question is a Pentium D 965 (3.73ghz stock, 130w rated TDP, 1066 FSB), on an Asus P5WD2-E Premium motherboard. Per the notes from the person that sent it my way, it had no problem handling a 4GHz clock. I was able to verify as much, able to just up the multiplier accordingly without even needing any added voltage. That said, the system used to be in Idaho. I'm in Arizona. And the cooler it comes with, seems inadequate for the warmer weather. Even now with as cool as it gets at night, the system was around the 70s C in the BIOS.

Thing is, it's presently space constrained inside of a Corsair Spec Alpha case. As it presently is, routing cables or even screwing the motherboard in place becomes crazy difficult. At least, it is lga 775 instead of socket 478, which lets me still have a choice in coolers.

But what can i get in such a space constrained sitjation, that would keep the thing's temps under control? I wasn't exactly inspired with confidence seeing some of the physically smaller coolers at Frys electronics locally, and seems like almost anything worth its salr would require replacing the case, too. I could use some ideas...

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I would recomend if you have the cash messing with dry ice/ln2 for crazy 6 GHz clocks. Or a submerged 360/420mm radiator in ice water, with no fans. Should be lots of fun.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks like you could get a 120mm AIO in there, but I don't know if you think that would be enough. You will probably be better off with getting a beefy air cooler like a Cryorig H7, Dark rock pro 4, or NH-D15. What cooler is being used presently? You can also check if it is clogged with dust. Nothing should be hitting 70c at the BIOS regardless of where you live. You can also check thermal paste as dried thermal paste is often a problem that older computers run into.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I have no idea what model it is. It does look like an early s478 thermalright cooler with the hooks to clip on around the 775 mounting supports. It did come with a Noctua fan, i think 80mm? Even as it is, it makes it really tough to get it installed, be ablr to screw in the board, and install the 8pin aux connector.

Just seems like any which way i consider it, I may have to keep the notion of replacing the case in mind.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Strap it with zip ties to a milk crate

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube