add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help to find out if cooler is compliant with my motherboard and cpu ( im new at this)

orlandoblyat

9 months ago

Cooler: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-led/ Motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/ Cpu: Intel i3-8100 BOX Coffee Lake Any help would be wonderful.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Well that cooler will fit on that motherboard just fine but as it is just an i3-8100 it's stock cooler is more than ample to keep it within its safe thermal limit and work well. Though a 212 evo is not that expensive and if it is purely for aesthetics then it is your choice. If you want lower noise a be quiet pure rock slim is several db lower in noise from the 212 evo and still costs less than $30 USD. It is a bit smaller than the 212evo but it is more effective at cooling than the Intel stock cooler which is already good enough for that CPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQRsY/be-quiet-pure-rock-slim-351-cfm-cpu-cooler-bk008

As for compatibility of a cooler will fit you do have to look at the case. The hyper 212 evo needs 160 mm of clearance from the CPU to the side of the case to fit and the pure rock slim only needs 125 mm. The stock cooler is even shorter and will fit in 99.99% of cases out on the market (I'm sure there has to be one out there that doesnt lol). I am sure others may post some other perfectly fine budget air coolers as options too but this is my 2 cents.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

My apologies, misread 8100 as 8700, a situation where the stock cooler isn’t fine.

[comment deleted]
  • 9 months ago
  • 2 points

The i3-8100 is only a 65w TDP chip and can't be overclocked. Also Intel cpus have a thermal max of 100c while recommended to stay 80c or lower on load. The stock cooler can easily keep that cpu within the thermal safe zone. That is why I said the stock cooler will work because it will do the job.

Aside from keeping the CPU cool the other 2 points to look at are aesthetics and noise. Yes I fully agree the stock cooler is butt ugly. For noise yes it is not the most silent cooler around but thankfully it is not the loudest either, the FX 8320/8350 stock cooler takes the cake in a whole new level of obnoxious noise. If you have speakers playing or headphones on that will easily drown out the Intel stock cooler noise. Though in a quiet room you can still hear it. That is why I made a mention of the be quiet pure rock slim cooler as the 212 evo isn't much better on noise over the stock cooler.

Now in my stser's build we had chosen to use that other cooler because we didn't like the looks of the stock cooler. It is not a bad thing to make a purchase for aesthetics but it did not improve performance at all. The i5-8400 is the same 65w TDP and since the cooler was a bit late showing up we ran it for a few days on the stock cooler and it never hit 80c on load. With that other cooler we could not make the CPU hit 60c but as nether cooler came close to 100c the boost clocks were not affected and the CPU would perform the same on either cooler.

TL:DR The Intel stock cooler is perfectly functional on locked Intel CPUs but aesthetics and noise are reasons to not use it.

[comment deleted]
  • 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Should fit just fine, I don’t see any issues with your parts.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube