add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2mm between Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 + G.Skill Trident Z RGB

kQ1

2 months ago

Hey guys, assembling my build right now, and there is only a 2mm gap between the massive BQ Dark Rock Pro 4 and my 4 G.Skill Trident Z RGB. I don't want to remove the heat spreader on the RAM, so if 2mm is not enough space between fan and RAM, I would've have to return the RAM and get a new one. What do you say? Is it to be expected that the CPU fan is vibrating so much on, say, max cycles, that it might touch or scratch on the RAM? Anybody got experience with this? Thanks for letting me know!

BR kQ1

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I got the previous version of the cooler the Dark Rock Pro 3 which only has minor differences (4 has easier mounting bracket and ceramic painting for darker black) and as for vibration issues I have had none. If a cooler is vibrating violent enough where it is shaking side to side by 2mm amounts by the base of the cooler tower then I would worry about the force of that vibration on the motherboard where that much force can destroy the motherboard. Clearly the cooler is not going to be able to do that.

My PC build with that cooler: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/MnLJ7P

Temps I get with my CPU when in 20c ambient room: https://imgur.com/a/EGednc4

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Very good temps for that 8C/16T processor at 4.0GHz.

And it seems that tiny board does a good job too. lol

Have you stress test it for an hour or so, for any CPU thermal throttling?

Aida is more than fine, no need Prime95, unless you run any kind of heavy applications that uses AVX instructions.

Now interesting would be, to stress test your system with only the FPU test!

FPU test only, puts a very demanding workload on the CPU socket, so if you wanna test the limits of your cooling solution, that's the way to go. ;)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I have run Aida64 overnight before and that was when I first built the rig. That is when I found out 1.375v was slightly unstable and had to bump it to 1.381v. I wanted the system to be stable enough that it can be stressed for many hours and not worry about crashes.

I don't really do any tasks super heavy on AVX but with the massive thermal headroom I got I am sure it is not something I need to worry about. One question though, how would doing a FPU only stress test be more demanding on the CPU than doing all 3 since the FPU is still being stressed?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

One question though, how would doing a FPU only stress test be more demanding on the CPU than doing all 3 since the FPU is still being stressed?

A very nice question.

I guess measuring only the FPU part of the processor (Floating Point Unit) puts even more stress to the CPU, because on that matter, the whole load goes only to the FPU part of the CPU and not the ALU.

And there are two units on the CPU that does perform operations.

The ALU that performs arithmetic comparisons, with basic calculations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

And the is the FPU that's much more sophisticated as it performs large floating-point number operations!

So that's my 2c of worth.

And according to the AIDA forums and precisely from an AIDA 64 developer, FPU only test...

The FPU test puts a very heavy stress on the processor, both load-wise and thermal-wise.  It is a very unique test in a sense that not many other stress tests or applications are capable of pushing your processor that far -- using AVX, AVX2 and FMA instructions indeed helps AIDA64 to achieve that level of stressing.

Whether you deem it is useful for your particular usage scenario or not is completely up to you to decide. If you use AIDA64 to measure your temperatures while running applications or games, and you can see much lower temperatures than what you did while running the AIDA64 FPU stress test, then you may have some headroom in upping the CPU clock and/or voltage.

So in our opinion AIDA64 FPU stress test is relevant, since it faces your CPU with the worst case scenario imaginable.  If it can stand that, then it's a good configuration (ie. both hardware and software settings are proper).

Regards,

Fiery
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess measuring only the FPU part of the processor (Floating Point Unit) puts even more stress to the CPU, because on that matter, the whole load goes only to the FPU part of the CPU and not the ALU.

Well I did understand that much about what the FPU does but I didn't see the connection of just having that checked in AIDA64 compared to having all 3 for the CPU checked at the same time on where the FPU only would generate more heat. I would have just thought the FPU would be fully stressed if I left that checked during the test regardless of what else was checked. Perhaps when I have more time on my hands I should test this and see.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I would have just thought the FPU would be fully stressed if I left that checked during the test regardless of what else was checked.

Most probably there is more behind all this, if you stress test the FPU only.

Perhaps when I have more time on my hands I should test this and see.

If you have the time, the results would be indeed very interesting. :)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

so long as your CPU cooler does not actually touch the ram you'll be fine

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If the cooler is vibrating there's something wrong; it's supposed to run very smoothly. You should be OK with a 2mm gap.

If it does touch, nothing terrible happens as long as nothing is physically damaged.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it to be expected that the CPU fan is vibrating so much on

Vibrating that much that it touches the ram even if it has 2mm space between...i don't think so.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube