add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I want to prepare to overclock the whole rig in the future. Will 850watt PSU do?

nuke21

65 months ago

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz130/Nuke21/buildnew_zps71451b3a.png

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3llSK

PCPartPicker says that this setup will be 663watts. I was thinking about getting a Corsair CX750M. But I am wondering if I should get a 850 watt for future preparation to potentially overclock the while rig. Possibly the Corsair HX850. I really know nothing about the difference between all of the PSU's other than the watts which is why I decided to ask on here.

I have all the items on this list already ordered. I just need a PSU to drop in my case now.

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

750w is more than enough for overclocking that build but i wouldn't get a cx psu they are not actually made for overclocking. Get a tx psu if money is tight.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

You know if you click pcpartpicker/reddit markup you dont have to take a screenshot

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you all for the replies. I have come to understand I will be fine with a 750watt psu. Now I need to know what company to go with. I heard Corsair is one of the top companies along with Coolmaster and XFX as runners up. But this is what I read online, nothing I have real knowledge in. I did read there are many versions of Corsair like CX, TX, HX etc and some people are saying HX is the worst. I had no idea this decision was so difficult

• 65 months ago
  • -2 points

That's 2 600w cards... Add the rest of the components and account for power draw of sli vs 2 single cards and you honestly should get a bigger psu if you want longevity... Especially if you plan to oc the cards also.

And get a good cpu cooler before you oc anything...

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

They aren't 600W video cards. 600W is the recommended PSU size for one card. A single GTX 770 pulls, at most, 270W of power when overclocked. I have a bunch of power measurements on my build description that goes into more detail.
That being said, you'd probably be good with a 750W.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

If a 770 pulled 600W, those triple SLI builds wouldn't be possible. 600 watts is just what Nvidia recommends, and they give you a ton of headroom too

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't seen a 2.5 kilowatt PSU yet... But I have seen quad Titan builds.

Hmm, methinks something you believe is not what it seems...

• 65 months ago
  • 0 points

If it recommended 600w,then it stands to reason that 2 cards should not suffice with only 150w above that. Never trust a psu that runs too close to its rated wattage. So no, 750w is not good. 850w is a lot better, and truly a 1000w should be used as it will offer a large enough safety zone that after a few years of degradation plus over clocking, you'll still be running well without any psu capacity related destruction on the system. If anything fails then, it's either a power problem from the outlet or a premature failure due to bad parts or bad cleaning habits.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

This isn't hard to understand dude. The point is that 600W is nowhere near what any single GPU gaming card needs... Not even remotely close. Not even for the whole system, let alone the GPU on its own.

You haven't even looked at power consumption tests, have you? You just regurgitate what you read on the box. 1000W for a single GPU build overclocked is absolute stupidity.

• 65 months ago
  • 0 points

And for an sli build it's not. Destroying your system by having an over worked psu is no fun. The parts list called for 2 770s, not one. So while 600w is fine for one, it's stupid for 2. Leaving room for further expansion later is also a great idea. Spending a little more on a psu that's a little more than you need now is cheaper than having to buy a new one later if you decide to add more stuff. Why would you risk your system over a minor cost difference between a 750w to 850w unit? That's why so many idiots post all the bad reviews 6 months later about their psu crapping out, because they cut it too close and didn't plan ahead.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

The max power draw of his build is 663 watts. There's no way it can pull more than that unless you highly overclock, and even then, a 750 watt PSU will be fine. 100 watts is nowhere near cutting it too close

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube