add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dark Rock Pro 4 vs H100i v2

JCMsergox

8 months ago

@title

I’ve been thinking about switching to the DR Pro 4 since I had to remove the HDD bays in my ITX case to install the rad on my H100i. I was wondering what the difference in cooling performance would be?

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

If you are running an ITX gaming build then I would suspect you are also using a graphics card in that one PCIe x16 slot that is available. The DRP4 (and pro 3) coolers do cover the first PCIe slot and if you need that for a video card then the cooler will simply be too large.

To give an example look at this motherboard: AB350M Pro4 and look at the PCIe slots. You will see the top slot is a 1x slot for a wifi card and the 2nd slot down is for the video card. Now look at my pc build with that same motherboard and the DRP3 cooler (same size as the 4) and see how close that cooler is to the video card.

Don't get me wrong that cooler is a beast and I have a hard time getting my CPU to hit 60c under artificial stress test in AIDA64 on an overclocked 8 core Ryzen. The Dark Rock Pro can beat some of the 240mm AIO coolers out there but only by a couple of degrees. It has the benefit of no pump noise, less possible parts to fail, was cheaper for me at the time compared to AIO. Downfall is the massive amount of space it takes up. The DRP4 is like the 3 but has a better mounting bracket and ceramic painting to give a darker black finish but it cools about the same and is the same size.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The DRP4 (and pro 3) coolers do cover the first PCIe slot and if you need that for a video card then the cooler will simply be too large.

That could not be further from the truth, my good man. Here is someone who managed to fit a DR4 on the same motherboard I am using with a dedicated GPU. It's a tight fit for sure, but a fit nonetheless.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh, when I saw the reviews on the DRP4 it seems all they changed was the mounting bracket and a few aesthetics but overall it was the same cooler as the DRP3. Going with my experience with the DRP3 I know it does cover the first PCIe slot on my motherboard so I thought as the dimensions were the same it could have the same issue.

Though from looking at that pic it is really close. I don't see a backplate and I would worry about solder points potentially touching the cooler and if there is room for a backplate to fit in between.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, my GPU has a backplate so that's not an issue for me

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

personally id stick with the H100i, Aios, in my personal experience, tend to age better, and in most cases, they get better thermals. did you have to remove all Hdd bays?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yup. I have my HDD sitting in a pile of cables. From what I've read, the temperature difference is just a few degrees warmer on the DR4, and my Ryzen chip doesn't go over 60C even on full load.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube