• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Astastruerival28 1 month ago

Im building my first pc currently and I am looking for a cooling suggestions. I have been looking at videos regarding AIO water cooling and became a bit concerned when I saw that leaking is big issue. Im not too certain on how prevalent this issue is or if I should even worry about it, but if it is something that will brick my computer then I suppose I would much rather get a good air cooler please give me some info on what I should do. here is my build - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3tFHMZ

Comments Sorted by:

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

I do prefer air coolers over AIOs but that is a personal preference. Sure with AIOs pump failure and leaks are things that can happen that doesn't mean they will happen within the life of the PC. Generally you are relatively safe using an AIO. I prefer air coolers myself because it is impossible for them to experience pump failure or leaks as they do not have any of that and they also do not generate any pump noise for the same reason. They will still have fan noise but AIOs also use fans on the radiators so there is zero difference there. The only downfall of high end air coolers is they take up a ton of room and you need to consider that in your build. As they both have their pros and cons yet both styles are good you can choose either way.

A solid air cooler to consider for a r5 2600x is a Dark Rock 4 air cooler if you are really worried about the possible failures of an AIO. However if you do get an AIO those problems are rare and should not be something to really worry about. Well unless you yank at the tubes or do other dumb stuff to them...... lol

Of course aesthetics are another thing to consider. Some people prefer the looks of an AIO over an air cooler and will spend the money for one on cpus that absolutely don't need one (cough locked intel cpus cough) and some people like the looks of some of the air coolers out there. Choose what you like and what fits in your budget.

Astastruerival28 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Yeah I have the same feelings toward air coolers as you and I think thats the way im gonna go. the only thing that im worried about is how big of an air cooler I can fit I would love to go big as possible, but im worried that I wont have clearance for my RAM and idk if anyone would even be able to tell me what would be able to clear the RAM ive got but the Dark rock 4 was a cooler I was looking at but I really would rather have the Dark Rock pro 4. do you think that monster would fit in my build without crushing my RAM?

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

You got low profile ram selected in your build already and I got the Dark Rock Pro 3 with the same low profile ram in my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/MnLJ7P

That ram will fit under the front cooler intake fan but as it is only the fan covering the ram slot it can be moved to the other side of the cooler tower and pull air if ram clearance is an issue. The Dark Rock 4 is not as thick of cooler but I think either the regular Dark Rock 4 or even the Dark Rock Pro 4 (beats some 240mm AIOs in cooling) will fit in your build though the Pro version will only be 2mm from the side panel while the non pro will have a bit more at 5mm.

Excellent thats good to hear. I really want the Pro I guess thats the way im gonna go.

andrewrayhons 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Do you plan to overclock your CPU? If so, liquid cooler tends to offer more stable temps. I wouldn't say leaking in AIO's is a "big issue", but it does happen, similar to lightning strikes happen and they can fry components. There is always a risk, but as stated below, some like the look of the water cooler vs the giant heat sync and fans.

I am actually finished setting up my system and I am trying to overclock right now I really could use some help im not to sure that i have done my overclock right becasue I am seeing a lower score than stock.