• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

UltraNoob123 1 month ago

The alcohol I need for cleaning my cpu is 70% isopropanol right?

Comments Sorted by:

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Yes, the higher percentage the better. (evaporates faster, less water) Dab it with a lint free cloth until it’s gone.

UltraNoob123 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

where can you typically buy it?

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Literally anywhere, any drug store, or even grocery store with a small pharmacy is likely going to have it.

UltraNoob123 submitter 1 point 1 month ago

ok thx

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Yeah 70% is good enough to clean a CPU with though I was lucky enough to get 99% stuff myself. If you need to find a good lint free cloth to clean the CPU with surprisingly if you have any coffee filters around those are some of the best.

This video may be a fun watch on the matter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOd1oN1wPSk

Junior1210 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I'd suggest the alcohol wipes used for cleaning glasses or for injections, they come in a box of 50-100 individual packets. Only cost $3-$4 and are great for also cleaning phone screens, watch faces, etc.

UltraNoob123 submitter 0 points 1 month ago

would acetone work as well (since I have some) or is it better to buy some alcohol?

Gilroar 1 Build 3 points 1 month ago

Acetone is bad to use because it eats the epoxy binding the fiberglass of the motherboard.

You may not even realize you touched it and kill the board.

Squadkills 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

It'd be better to get some alcohol. 70-91% is good local Walmart cvs or walgreens lol