alaajba 1 month ago

Hello mates,

In one of my builds, I'm having the below:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor

Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard

RAM: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler

I have two questions:

1. Is the CPU cooler I picked is too much for Ryzen5? I'm planning to over clock it when gaming. should i pick something more humble?

2. How can I know if the size of the CPU cooler (the one I picked or different one) will not affect the RAM? I couldnt find the max dimensions of the cooler in the motherboard specifications.

Any comment or opinion is highly appreciated.. thank you

Comments Sorted by:

mark5916 3 points 1 month ago

Is the CPU cooler I picked is too much for Ryzen5?

I would say it's the other way around. You could pick up a even better cooler, because you don't know the quality of the CPU die you have purchased, and going safer would be always better.

So according to your available budget, you could opt for these coolers as well.

https://www.outletpc.com/fa3975-be-quiet-bk009-pure-rock-cpu-cooler-150w-tdp.html

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4UF2DZ6565&Description=H7&cm_re=H7-_-13C-000U-00005-_-Product

Also be sure, your Case has the available space for each of the above coolers.

How can I know if the size of the CPU cooler (the one I picked or different one) will not affect the RAM? I couldn't find the max dimensions of the cooler in the motherboard specifications.

That CPU cooler uses a asymmetrical construction design, and will not interfere regardless the height of the ram modules.

For being sure a cooler will not interfere with a particular ram kit, you should look at some reviews from that cooler in question, or even look at the specs on the manufacturers homepage.

Frugert 2 points 1 month ago

That cooler is perfectly fine for cooling the Ryzen 5 2600 and stock and would be able to hold its boost clocks. If you were to overclock your CPU that cooler may not manage to push it very far, and probably wouldn't result in much gain over the boost speeds of the CPU. I use a Deepcool Gammax GT cooler on my Ryzen which has a bit better cooling potential and I've managed to overclock my CPU to 4GHz at 1.325V maxing out at 75C in aida64. Mileage may vary on your overclock due to silicon lottery.

The Corsair Vengeance memory is low profile and will be perfectly fine for the cooler you stated, as well as the one I use, the only problem that could arise with low profile ram is if your using a 2 fan cooler such as the dark rock pro 4 or the noctua NH-15.

pcbldragain 2 points 1 month ago

I don't have my MB yet but I picked a big hyper 612 cooler because it is quieter as my PC will be next to me. If you want to OC you really need a larger cooler or go liquid, you bump the voltage and it makes a lot more heat. An issue with air coolers is the mid size that work well can be loud, like the dual fan ones. The large ones some have slower fans some don't. The pwm vary speed so will be better at idle if your MB runs it. Also the large ones do not fit in some cases they are so tall. (usually 5-6 heat pipe models) If you don't care about noise it is not as big a deal. I read a lot of reviews, sifted through this forum, looked at tests, and hope I picked right for my use. And with this one I can always put a faster fan on it to improve heat dispersion. It seemed to me either you go larger sink or louder high power fan(s) either gets rid of more heat, so I went large and hope I don't need a jet engine in there when I OC it. People here can recommend if you list your needs. Ram clearance is tough to figure, every MB is different as well as ram spreaders.