add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I want to upgrade old pc but struggling to choose cpu and mobo

Jumpcut81

7 months ago

hello

so I want to upgrade old pc but struggling to choose cpu and mobo. Currently I have a I7 2600k and want to upgrade to a 9700k or maybe a 9900k. I have already bought the dark rock pro 4 recently so I want to stay with air cooling. For the mobo, I hesitate between Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming or GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO . I would like to OC in the future but I am a totally noob. I already have the gpu (RTX 2080) and the psu (corsair rm750x). My case is a Fractal r4 with only 2 be quiet silent wing 3 fan, one front and one at the back.

Mainly it would be for gaming but I am a video editor and I want to be able to work at home occasionally.

I would really appreciate it if someone can help me with this.

thank you!

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Location and budget please. Do you have access to a microcenter store?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I am in Canada (Quebec) and probably will buy on Newegg. My budget is around 1200-1400$ CAD. I forgot to say that I need ram (16go) and I would like to include something like an EVO 960 1TB.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

What kind of monitor do you have? (Res, refresh rate, size)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

not sure the model but it's an Asus 1440p 75hz(oc) IPS

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/hsnrbX Personal favourite, just because I’m a Ryzen fan. The stock cooler on this is more than enough for a moderate OC also this upgrade is only $1000. Ryzen is unbeatable if you want to save money, but if you want to spend the full $1400 this is the best https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZvVTkd The i9 is an absolute beast in all tasks. Unbeatable at consumer level if you have a high enough budget.

Personally I’m a fan of ASUS motherboards, as the TUF boards and strix boards both give good power delivery despite the former being fairly cheaper. BIOS is also very easy to navigate.

Either of these works for video editing, if you wanna save money go Ryzen it’ll still do absolutely amazing for only 1k, while the i9 costs the full $1400 once you get the extra cooler

Each builds comes with an HP EX950 which is the new ssd from HP, it’s 1tb, NVME, and has a 5 year warranty from HP.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I am not able to explain why but I can not go with amd since I have always had intel in the past. I think ill go with the 9900k pair with the dark rock pro 4 because I already own this cooler.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to upgrade to a multitasking build, I say a Ryzen 7 1700x or 1800x

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, maybe the logical choice would have been to go with amd but I cant go away from intel hehe.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

if he can afford intel, he may as well go intel :shrug:

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube