add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How often do I need to change the thermal paste for the H100i v2?

taskforce161

8 months ago

I got this thing nearly a year ago, haven't changed the pre applied thermal paste yet, at what point do I need to change it? Also, what thermal paste should I use for it?

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

Unless you temperatures are climbing you should not worry.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I literally just came here to post about this because I built my PC two years ago and I changed the TIM on my 7700k and H100i V2 yesterday. It had been running at 1.41v. The idle temperature did not change. However, the max temperature dropped 10c.

I suspect the HEAVY benchmarking and stresstesting slightly degraded the TIM over the last two years. Also, I added more TIM this time around. I was still getting good temps (max of 85c during Prime95) but now I'm maxing out at 75c during Prime95 at 1.41v since I changed the TIM.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The stock TIM isn’t very good, which is why you saw a drop.

Also 1.41v is riding the line of degradation and so be vary of that.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

You're 100% right, but wrong in this scenario. I should have clarified that I never used the stock TIM. I only use MX-4. My point was to show what 2yrs can do to TIM if you 'play hard'. Swapping out my MX-4 after 2yrs reduced my max temps by 10c.

Normally I would agree with you about 1.41v if it was running 24/7. I'm using adaptive voltage though. I sit around .8-1.2v. It only jumps up to 1.41v under full load.

OP, BetrayedPredator is correct. He's only wrong regarding me because I didn't clarify my comment.

EDIT: OP, if you do decide to apply new TIM try out Arctic MX-4 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. Those are hands down the best IMO because they have excellent performance, have great thermal conductivity, and they DO NOT CONDUCT ELECTRICITY making it super safe.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Well since my temperatures are normal, I won't be changing the TIM but when I do, I'll keep your suggestions in mind! Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube