add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Poor motherboard shielding?

dwang040

8 months ago

A couple years ago, every time there was gpu coil whine, it would get picked up by the motherboard and played out to my headphones. I ended up getting an rma/ sent in my board to gigabyte to get it fixed. In the end, I ended up getting a usb dac/ amp.

However, just recently, I noticed that there was a bit of hissing (only audible if no sound is being played, like loading screens/ menus) coming from the USB audio. It's definetly not as bad and annoying as the coil whine sound from the previous paragraph, but it's definetly from the same reason. Is there really anything I can do to fix this if it is a case of poor shielding?

Regarding coil whine (since the usb noise is related to coil whine) I know I can limit fps and use vsync. However, one of the major culprits is the game killing floor 2. There's no frame limit (except for the variable frame option that sets it to 62 fps... Not happening given its fast paced and I'm playing on 144hz), vsync input lag isn't something I like to deal with, and fps limiting programs like evga precision/ msi afterburner sometimes don't play nice with my games such as destiny 2.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Coil whine shouldn’t be impacting audio

Check your cable to make sure they aren’t touching anything they shouldn’t be and properly shielded.

I found that hissing from USB / audio jacks happens with only the front audio / usb with some headphones in my experience.

If it doesn’t happen from your motherboard USB (it shouldn’t), then check your case cables to make sure they are shielded

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason I say it's coil whine is because the sound coming through the 3.5 jack is related to the noise coming from the gpu. Depending on the scene, the gpu whine pitch and whine coming from audio jack pitch changed. My guess is that the audio solution was picking up the electrical noise being generated. After all, I do believe the audio chip on a motherboard is pretty close to the gpu location (bottom left).

As for usb audio, I'm using the motherboard audio (want gigabyte advertises as dac up). Again, the game that produces the worst cpil whine (as of right now) is killing floor 2 and payday (no fps limit). When I'm watching a YouTube video, or on my desktop, the hissing noise isn't there. As for games that don't produce coil whine, I don't notice a hiss at all.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

really this is why i moved away from USB for audio; i have a very nice DAC and i use optical input on it. if you have that option i would recommend it as you will not hear a difference versus USB.

If i may ask what DAC do you have?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately, I do not have the option to use optical as I have the khadas tone board.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

if you don't have a case for it, i'd really suggest that. if you just have a bare board then that is super susceptible to electronic interference

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, that's something I'm looking into. Might just find a 3d printer or something. Though, don't know if that is "enough."

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

there's a reason why most audio and electronic products have metal cases around the PCB's

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, but there's not a lot of options for the tone board. There's only one aluminum case available (which also costs around $50 if shipped to the US), however, the few reviews available seem quite mixed. The only other options would be to 3d print (which would most likely be abs plastic) or a diy solution (but I don't have the tools on hand for a diy).

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube