add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooling options for i7 9700k

BmickC

8 months ago

Currently flip-flopping between a Crosair H60 and the a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

Will likely only be doing light overclocking and the PC will be used primarily for gaming.

• Is this primarily just an aesthetic concern at this point (minus the ~30$ price difference), or will there be a marked performance difference?
  • Is there another option that I'm overlooking?

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Is there another option that I'm overlooking?

Yes, either get a decent AIO (the new H60 2018 may be able to handle a moderate overclock) or a decent Air cooler.

And the Hyper 212 Evo if far from being decent with an i7-9700K in mind.

AIO: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2YM-0004-00015&Description=Cooler%20Master%20MasterLiquid%20Lite%20ML240L%20RGB&cm_re=Cooler_Master_MasterLiquid_Lite_ML240L_RGB-_-2YM-0004-00015-_-Product

Air: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9ZH6GN8650&Description=Mugen%205&cm_re=Mugen_5-_-13C-0004-00075-_-Product

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

For air cooling a 9700K, I'd suggest something off this list.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

That list contains coolers that are only compatible with an TR4(SP3r2)/SP3 socket boards. :-P

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

You're right, I failed to filter that part out. =\

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Ha - Ha, never mind.

The OP would be able to figure it out, i guess...lol

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

You have way too much faith in me. If there is one thing you need to know about me it's that I'm a complete moron.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

lol

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Long story short..... I was forced to buy the older Gen 4 H60 from Best Buy because the RAM sticks I was using would not work with the Scythe Fuma cooler. When I tested the H60 using Prime95 Blend, the temps were 5c higher than what I was getting with the Fuma. To make matters worse, I put that H60 in Push/Pull with two of the Corsair ML120 fans that top out at 2400rpm. The temperature spread would have been a lot worse with the stock fans.

I have heard the newer Gen 6 H60 is a lot better but I seriously doubt it could touch the Scythe Mugen 5 or the Fuma.

If you want an AIO cooler, the EVGA clc 240 is reliable and it scores high in benchmarks. Sometimes you can find these on sale for a price that isn't too much higher than the H60. I have the EVGA clc280 and it beats these silly 360mm AIO coolers like the H150i. Otherwise I'd say get the Mugen 5 or the Fuma.

The old 212 was impressive several years ago but now it's been surpassed by other coolers. It would work at stock speeds, but overclocking would be too much for it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube