add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

212 Evo on i5-8400

Andon0209

5 months ago

Would a Cooler Master 212 Evo be enough on an i5-8400? What other cheap coolers would work?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

The cheapest Evo version right now is this one which isn't a bad deal. Yes, it's more than enough for your 8400.

The Deepcool Gammaxx 400 is another very cheap cooler that would work.

Slightly better and slightly pricier (usually about $25) is the Cryorig M9. At $30 you have the be quiet Pure Rock Slim, and moving up you start getting into some nice coolers like the Thermalright Macho Direct that are nice but way overkill for your use.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It would be fine, but that cooler is quite dated, so I wouldn’t really pick it.

Either of these 2 would be fine, and just as good.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/LPVBD3,TnJtt6/

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Get the Cryorig M9 Plus, but not for $39.89. lol

Cryorig M9 Plus

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The stock cooler that comes with the i5-8400 is enough to keep the CPU within its safe temps. Any cooler that does a better job at cooling than the stock cooler (most coolers on the market) will do it better but as it is a locked CPU it will not increase cpu performance. Though the stock cooler is ugly as sin so that is a good reason to use another cooler. The Cryorig M9 Plus that mark5916 suggested or even a Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim (whichever is cheapest) are great options for aesthetics IMO. Just keep in mind you are only paying for aesthetics so consider how much you want to spend on a cooler accordingly.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The 8400 and Ryzen 2600 are special cases. Due to their turbo algorithms, you often won't get max performance out of the stock coolers. This is why it's frequently recommended to get an aftermarket cooler for these CPUs; pretty much any halfway competent tower style HSF will do a better job than the stock cooler at keeping temps low and boost clocks stable.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That’s a match made In heaven because you can’t overclock i5 8400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube