add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New to water-cooling have some questions

Urbanredneck

4 months ago

So I'm interested in starting a water-cooling custom build, and I was curious, does the water pump constantly run and the fan only turn on when it needs to cool the fluids, or does it all only run when it starts to get warm?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You would be better to ask questions on a water cooling oriented forum since you will usually get generic information here. To my knowledge though the pump is going 24/7 (as long as the PC is on) to keep the water moving through the loop. The fans can be set to turn on only when the CPU or the fluid gets to a certain temperature.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

the fan only turn on when it needs to cool the fluids

You can do that by setting a fan curve profile on the included software monitoring tool, but i would still run the fans at least at the lowest possible rpm speeds that aren't noisy to you.

And that's because the following reason.

Running the AIO without any fan activity, you use your AIO in a passive state. So the coolant starts to warm up until a point that's not healthy for the AIO and can affect the performance and the life of the AIO negatively.

If the water runs over 60°C for a long time period, it slowly permeate the tubes that contains the cooling.

It wont evaporate, but depending the quality of the tubing, permeation can lead to pumps sucking air through the system as liquid volume decreases, causing gurgling noises and bubbles that moves around the tubing.

So, i would strongly advice to run the fans at least with a minimum rpm speed. :)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome thank you both very much, it's kinda a case mod project I'm doing and building my own water-cooling system and that was the major thing I could think find a straight answer for!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube