add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New CPU Cooler?

ervwvaqc

4 months ago

My CPU idles in the 70o C range and when I play games, it can get up to the high 90s. It could mean that I need to reapply thermal paste, but I've had the same stock cooler for over ten years now and I'm not sure if it's still up to par. So should I buy a new cooler and if so, which one?

Below is a parts list of what I believe is closest to the build I have now.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/WPjvJ8

Parts List

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

yes you need to re apply thermal paste, you can get a better the oem one for cheap for less then 50 bucks. try open box deals or clearance on newgg

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Reapplying the thermal paste is the most immediate solution, but if you want a long-term solution, getting a new cooler is your best route.

Something like this should work well.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/PJYXsY/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212x20pmr1

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I would think it may be worth it to upgrade to a new system by this point. GG with making that system last 10 years. I would really be wary about spending any money on such an old system as anything new today would just destroy it in performance and also be far more power efficient. I would really consider upgrading since the use of the PC is gaming.

Well I suppose there is a possibility it is being used as an old win XP system running some really old retro games trying to keep the original experience. In that case replacing thermal paste and making sure all dust is cleaned out is a good start and if temps are still really high then a new budget air cooler will do the job nicely.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

check for dust accumulation on the cooler too. dust is a blanket when its builds up.

If it used to keep it cool, then dust, old thermal paste, or dying fan are really the only things to check.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

--UPDATE--

So I bought the Hyper 212X as ImperiousBattlestar suggested, but I haven't installed it yet because I'm waiting for some isopropyl alcohol to come so I can clean my CPU and fan.

But the problem lies in the fact that while pcpartpicker and umart (the place I bought it from) lists LGA775 (The CPU socket I have) as a supported socket, on the box and in the manual, it doesn't list my socket as being supported. So the question is will it still work or have I wasted my money?

Also, the computer is covered in dust as xbiker12 told me to check, so I'll have to buy either some compressed air or an air compressor at some point.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You will definitely have to get a new cooler for your CPU otherwise you will face some major problem very soon and yes don't do anything with your 10 years old cooler because as its already too old so you should definitely spend about 50 or 100 bucks on it.

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube