add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

9700K Cooling

MrGrim999

4 months ago

Hey guys,

I plan to order the 9700K when i get paid on friday and was going to use my existing CM Hyper 212 Evo that I've been using on my i5-4690K but I'm wondering if I should get a more premium cooler? I've read a few posts about the 9700K running a little hot. I see alot of people and sites mentioning the Be Quiet Dark Rock 4 or the Noctua NH-D15S. My concern is blocking the ram. I'm currently using 16GB (2x8) but not sure if it's worth it to get another 2 sticks of ram in the future. Any opinions on either a premium cooler that wont block or maybe I shouldn't worry about that? I was interested in continuing to use an air cooler. Any bad feedback on the CM MasterAir MA410M?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, you should get a better cooler.

I'm using the Dark Rock 4 presently. In the standard configuration, unless you have very low profile ram (even then I'm not sure), the first DIMM will be blocked by the fan. My system works fine with the RAM in the 2nd and 4th slots. Alternatively, the fan should be mountable on the back side of the heatsink (I'm planning to test this later this month) freeing up access to all DIMMs. So far the DR4 has handled my 9700k at 5Ghz relatively well. Ran a full Blender benchmark, as well as 3hrs of RealBench, and thermals were under control.

The Dark Rock Pro 4 actually has better memory clearance than the DR4, though if you have the front fan installed on that, it will block the view of the memory modules. Any of the following should fit under the Dark Rock Pro 4.

Corsair Vengeance LPX   31mm
G.Skill FlareX  40mm 
G.Skill RipjawsV    42mm
Kingston Hyper X    43mm
TridentZ (Black&White)  44mm
Patriot Viper RGB   45.4mm
Patriot Viper Steel 45mm
G.Skill Trident Z RGB   45mm
TridentZ (Black&Silver) 45mm
G.Skill Trident Z Royal 45mm
Team Dark Pro   45mm
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I was actually favoring the Dar Rock 4 first after reading nothing but positive reviews. I was just thinking ahead for the rams sake. Just out of curiosity, I've been monitoring the ram usage while gaming and doesn't seem to use more than 7gb. Looks like 16 is plenty for now. Wonder why I see a lot of people on here using 32? You listed the one I'm using so I should be good anyway...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

16GB is plenty for gaming. 32GB builds are usually workstation oriented (photo/video editing, database work, heavy VM usage, blah blah), or someone had too much money...

The DR4 is a great cooler if you're willing to hassle with the fit. If cost is not a problem, the new Noctua U12A with the amazing A12x25 fans would be a great option with no RAM fit issues. (Edit: should have read below, looks like you're getting it; let us know how it works out!)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don’t mind the looks Noctua is the best but if you do mind how it looks the dark rock 4 is pretty good. (In my opinion)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So I ended up going with the Dark Rock 4 and it just came in the mail today. Man this thing is huge!! Looks pretty bad *** though! I'm just waiting for the cpu to arrive on Monday then I can finally build my baby. I'll let you guys know how the temps turn out!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Never thought I'd be spending around 100 for a cpu cooler LOL!! But you gotta do it right, right? Thanks for the Noctua! I'll be considering that one as well. I'll be placing the order tomorrow along with the cpu and I'll post which one I went with.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If looks are a thing you care about, Noctua is supposed to be releasing an all blacked out version of their coolers soon™.

Until then the DRP4 works within a degree or two of the top of the line Noctua, and looks a gajillion degrees cooler (imo).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea I certainly appreciate a cool looking cooler :) But I will be ordering it along with the cpu tomorrow. These are the last 2 parts I needed to complete my new build. Can't Wait!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube