add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooler for the R5 2600 Overclock and Compatibility

warden66

4 months ago

Hi there. I have the Ryzen 5 2600 on a Biostar X470GT8 motherboard and I was looking for a good cpu cooler to overclock with. Most of the coolers I've looked at give me a compatibility note that says something like: "The Noctua - NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the Biostar - X470GT8 ATX AM4 Motherboard." I'm not sure if this is something I need to worry about, and if so, what should I do? Also, I would appreciate a recommendation for a solid cpu cooler for this processor. Thanks!

P.S. Should I buy third-party thermal paste? I've never done that.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2600 CPU doesn't run all that hot even overclocked. Cryorig M9a would be a good step up from stock. If you want more, there are a bunch of $30-$40 coolers that would work; for example Arctic Freezer 33. For overkill, how about a Thermalright Macho or Scythe Mugen 5.

Oh, and about the paste: it's up to you. Most thermal pastes are OK to within a couple degrees. If you want to spend a bit extra, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is generally reviewed as top of the line without getting into the "crazy" stuff (delidding, conductive metals, etc.)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for your response. I think I’m gonna go with the cryorig m9a. However, when I add the cooler to my parts list I still get that weird compatibility note. Is that anything to worry about? Thanks again.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you get an old stock M9a out of some 3 year old dusty corner, nothing to worry about. And if by mischance you do get one without the AM4 mount, cryorig support can take care of getting you one.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, cool. I’m not very experienced with this kind of thing, so I’d like your opinion. Should I get any thermal paste? And if so what kind? Thanks so much.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The M9a should include a small tube of some sort of thermal paste, and I'd just go ahead and use that. A small tube of Kryonaut is going to run you $10 or thereabouts, and there's nothing wrong with spending the money if you have it and if it will make you feel more comfortable; but it's not particularly necessary. You can expect 1-3C improvement over no-name thermal pastes, with the low end more likely. That's not enough to bother with unless you are scrimping for every degree you can get, for whatever reason.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, thanks for the feedback! I think I'll just stick with whatever comes in the box.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube