add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Air Vs Liquid Cooling On I9-9900K

Booler324

4 months ago

Planning my first build and I'm not sure of what type of cooler to go for with the 9900k. I do plan on overclocking and I hear this thing runs pretty damn hot, so I thought that liquid might be the better option but my only concern is the cooler leaking. I can't afford for a 250$ cooler getting ****** up and taking the rest of my build with it. I haven't really seen many people running the 9900k with an Air Cooler so maybe its just not plausible. Let me know what you think, if you think I should go with an air cooler any recommendations of which one to go with would be great.

What I'm currently planning on going with: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Booler324/saved/gyXCbv

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't OC the i9-9900K and would get an air cooler instead.

And if the build is for gaming purposes, you can make it cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $659.00 @ Mike's Computer Shop
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H5 Universal 65 CFM CPU Cooler $72.05 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $249.50 @ Vuugo
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $139.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $147.78 @ Mike's Computer Shop
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.75 @ Vuugo
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS Video Card $1699.00 @ Canada Computers
Case Fractal Design - Define R6 Blackout TG ATX Mid Tower Case $149.99 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Canada Computers
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $3307.05
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $3287.05
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-07 13:52 EDT-0400
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm another fan of air cooling. I decided it was a good time to upgrade my rig from 5 years ago and bought the 9700K and Dark Rock Pro 4 which is supposed to be one of the best premium coolers out there. I was actually thinking about going liquid, the custom RGB looks so cool and it seems to have become the standard in alot of gaming pc's. However, I've got anxiety issues too as far as springing a leak hehe! I've read online about gunk building up inside the reservoir and needs to be maintained. Also, I heard from 2 different coworkers that experienced issues with them. So I decided to stick with air cooling and continue to rest easy :) As soon as I receive the 9700K and set everything up, I'll post my temps in the forum.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I read a few pages about people having them fail at 2 years of HD gaming, mostly the pumps failing. A few had leaks too but I can't really get behind something that might blow up in only 2 years. Sometimes I leave my PC on and come back so it needs to idle nice and maybe some hours. Since I'm not going to OC it to the max what is important is that its not too loud. So I went with the 612 hyper v2, its a huge thing though think softball size and has 6 heat pipes. It has a slow quiet fan, but you can add a 2nd one or go higher speed if needed. I hope it works, then again its only a 2400g for now. The dark rock looked nice too. Note I had to get a wider case to fit this hog, so beware of clearance when looking at big air coolers. And hey I can always put a RGB fan on it if I have to lol. For me a couple LED would be nice but I don't care that much.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the Kraken X72 in my system and it works fine with the 9900k overclocked from 5.0 - 5.3GHz (game boost 4 setting on MSI MEG Z390 Ace). It also comes with a 6 year warranty and any parts damaged by a failed cooler are covered. https://www.nzxt.com/products/kraken-x72

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube