• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

KagedGryphon 12 days ago

I have a system that I built a few weeks ago, and am starting to get into overclocking. The build is a Ryzen 5 2600 on an MSI B350M Bazooka board with 4 sticks of 4gb HyperX Fury ram, with an XFX RX 580 providing graphics. All of this is installed in an NZXT H700i case. Now, as the 2600 only comes with the Wraith Stealth cooler I know I need something better. I have a max budget of $110, as I was planning on going with the DeepCool Captain 360EX rgb. But I am also considering an air cooler. My issue is compatibility with the B350m matx board with all 4 ram slots occupied. I was looking at the Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B or the Thermalright Macho B (or the Ryzen branded ARO-M14O version for the orange top) or the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT. Someone else suggested the Dark Rock Pro 4. Yes, I know the majority of these options may be overkill but I am also looking at forward compatibility as I will be upgrading when Ryzen 3000 comes out, Likely to either a Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9 as the potential for 5ghz is quite attractive. So, with that said, will any of the aforementioned coolers work? or is there a better option that I can use now as well as later with Ryzen 3000?

TL;DR I need a cooler for a Ryzen 5 2600 on a MSI B350M Bazooka matx board with all ram slots populated inside an NZXT H700i case. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should also mention there is a 140mm fan mounted as exhaust on the rear of the case. Not sure if that will affect clearance

Comments Sorted by:

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 12 days ago

You don't need fancy cooling for a 2600; I'd be surprised if you can drive it much higher than 100w TDP, if even that much. The Scythe Mugen 5 is plenty and has good RAM clearance, and I believe the Macho does also; one of those would be my choice. To be honest, you can probably extract the majority of overclocking performance from a 2600 with a Cryorig M9a, but the larger coolers might let you push a bit closer to the edge.

Either Mugen or Macho should be able to carry forward to Zen 2; it's all guesses at this point, but I don't see the process and architecture suddenly allowing massive heat output to rival the 9900K and its ilk.

KagedGryphon submitter 1 point 12 days ago

So, Macho Rev B or Mugen 5 Rev B with a second fan? The Mugen 5 has the benefit of being narrower, increasing clearance for the GPU.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 12 days ago

You don't even need the second fan, although I wouldn't want to hold you back or anything. :-) The single fan Mugen 5 can dissipate 100w in its sleep, and same with the Thermalright unit.

I personally have the Mugen 5 PCGH edition, which is dual fan, but it's for quiet (the fans run at low speed) rather than cooling capability; and it keeps a 2700X under control easily. A 2600 will dissipate less, even if you overclock it to within an inch of its life.

KagedGryphon submitter 1 point 12 days ago

Alright. Now to decide if I wait for the Mugen 5 to be back instock on amazon, or just get the Thermalright. I also got to looking at the Ninja 5, which honestly is quite aesthetically pleasing in terms of centering and the overall design lol.