PCPartPicker

• Register

When and why to get a separate cooler over a stock CPU cooler?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

MojaveHigh 12 days ago

I had a couple parts lists created for me that suggest the *AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor which comes with a stock cooler.

How do I decide whether a stock cooler is enough or I should go with another cooler?

Comments Sorted by:

adamboyce556 2 points 11 days ago

the 2700X has a beastly cooler, unless you plan on doing some serious OCing its more than enough.

Granddy 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

Even then, it can handle some pretty high overclocks albeit somewhat loudly.

adamboyce556 1 point 8 days ago

ah yes, the lovely whirrrr of a tiny jet engine revving up loudly enough it might take off from your motherboard.

Granddy 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

I mean, super cars also revving up pretty loudly....

Just let the Wraith Max flex for a bit :(

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 11 days ago

The best way is to run the stock cooler for a while and use a good hardware monitor (like hwinfo64) to see what the CPU temperature is. If you don't like the temps or the noise level, replace it.

Alternatively you could decide whether it's worth $50-60 to you to avoid any possible hassle, and just go with a Mugen 5, Macho, Ouranos, or the rest of the usual suspects.

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 2 points 10 days ago

Few reasons I would choose to go with an aftermarket cooling solution over stock:

• If I plan to OC or it is a hot chip on stock (not as common these days)
  • Form factor such as a low profile cooler in a tiny build where stock is too large to fit
  • Aesthetics, though I keep the cost to $30 or less for this reason
  • Noise sensitive applications such as PC running near you when you sleep

If you do not plan to OC the R7 2700X then the stock cooler is ample performance wise and that CPU will still give some great performance at stock speeds. If you do plan to OC and get it to 4.2 or 4.3 if lucky then aftermarket cooling is going to be recommended. The Ryzen stock coolers are not as ugly as Intel coolers IMO but art is in the eye of the beholder or so they say.

mark5916 1 point 11 days ago

With that processor, if you wanna OC (not needed but if you still wanna mess with that) the stock Wraith Prism will not cut it.

Also if that stock cooler does produce a lot of noise whilst on load...now you have two reasons to replace that cooler with an aftermarket one. :)

heyanil673 1 point 10 days ago

You just use it for some time and try understanding the heating system of your system. If you are getting good results with it then don't go for another cooler and if you are trying to OverClock your system then you should definitely go for it because it will be an advantage for your system but if you really want to get a cooler for your system then you can get one for your system which will be cost you about 50 to 100 dollars but I don't think that you need to get one because the cooler which comes Ryzen 7 is already a beast.