add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will this psu be enough?

TJ234life

65 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $189.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $84.99
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $75.99 @ Adorama
Storage Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $73.47 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $339.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $339.99 @ NCIX US
Case Zalman Z12 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case $57.99 @ Micro Center
Power Supply Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98 @ OutletPC
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan $7.99 @ Newegg
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-C2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan $7.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1388.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-09 19:47 EDT-0400

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Should be fine as it is, but if you plan on overclocking or upgrading in the future, you might want to get a little more wattage

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty much. An 850w will be a better pick

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

In all honesty I recommend an 850w psu as well, the HX850 would serve you better coz your gonna be pulling some juice with dual vid cards, maybe if you were just using one you could get away with it, but if your gonna load up the double barrel and have at it, your gonna want some extra juice when you go to overclock bro. The Corsair HX series is rather long to, about 180mm, things bout as long as your vid cards so make sure it will fit. With all that stuffed into your Zalman, I predict heat/airflow problems in your future, as it looks like your cooling options with that case are limited. If it were me, I'd give the Thermaltake Chaser a hard look, or other mid size cases with better cooling options like NZXT or Cooler Master. :-)

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input guys. In all honesty the second vid card in this build would be a down the road upgrade. And, I still haven't 100% decided on the 770, the price vs performace of the 760 looks pretty good too and thats $100 I could spend elsewhere, wouldn't this psu be sufficient for 2 of those down the road if I decided to sli. I'm only planning on running 1 1080p monitor. I'm just looking for something I can upgrade and keep running for several years. I will definitely look at the cases you sugested. Any particular nzxt or coolermaster cases you would recommend as a starting point?

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

There are different degrees of value. You can roll with a given PSU, but when you go to buy your vid card down the road, your probably gonna wind up spending more on another PSU to run it. One thing I found out as a first time builder was the first and most important thing that you should buy first is a quality PSU! Others may disagree with me, but it makes no sense to order a mobo, vid card, ram, cpu, etc. etc. if you have no means to test fire them to make sure they are not DOA!

As for a case, I went with the NZXT Source 530, it has lots of room, cooling options, basically it's a Phantom 530 less the flair. I'm not going to any LAN party's with this thing so I don't need any flair. I also looked really hard at a Cooler Master Scout to, but the NZXT was much bigger and bad *** less a handle. I can go to the hardware store and put a handle on my case. :-P

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

The more I look into it I'm thinking I might just scrap this whole sli idea anyway. From what I have read it may be more beneficial to just get one 770 or 760 and when its not enough, upgrade and sell it Now I have a slight other issue, I'm planning on making the gpu and if needed psu my first couple purchases. That way I can upgrade what I have now and use it until I get the rest of my build together. I currently have a 500W psu, so if I get a 760 I should be good. If I go 770, I'm gonna need the psu. My current pc a gateway fx 6840-03e has the psu mounted up in the top of the case. So, am I gonna be able to mount this sucker up there?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube