PCPartPicker

• Register

Overclocking 9900k to 5ghz with deepcool captain 360ex?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Caam 4 days ago

I was planning on getting the h150i but then i saw the 360ex. From the reviews its a "ok" cooler but is it enough to oc a 9900k to 5ghz to a stable temperature. I couldn't find anyone who tested or owns a 9900k with 360ex, so i assume its bad combo?

Comments Sorted by:

bucketofcrud12 4 Builds 1 point 4 days ago

well, that depends pretty much entirely on your specific chip, what TIM you use, how much voltage you need for 5ghz (if it even gets there stably), and if you delid or not. the answer is probably, but possibly not. what temperatures were you looking to get? the 9900K is pretty dang hot in general.

Caam submitter 1 point 4 days ago

i'll be using the pre applied thermal paste unless you can recommend me one. Motherboard i will be using the MEG z390 Ace most people have a setting of 1.31-1.32 voltage. I'm looking to get a minimum of under 90c. No im not planning on delidding

mayatola 1 Build 1 point 4 days ago

Honestly don't stress too much over it. Most 360mm CLCs perform similarly (they're all using the same Asetek pump) and the difference comes down to price and aesthetics (Gamers Nexus tested several CLCs and came to this conclusion - feel free to check their channel on youtube). As for me, I'm running the 9900k at game boost 4 on the MEG Z390 Ace and it clocks the 8 cores at 5.3, 5.3, 5.2, 5.1, 5.1, 5.0, 5.0, 5.0GHz (1.35v). At those settings temps are around 60-65 C under load with the Kraken X72 (fans barely run at half speed). Yeah, the 9900k can get hot, but just about any 360mm rad with fans attached to it will do the job. Unless you are planning to go a lot higher, then you should look into maybe Noctua fans on the radiator.

Caam submitter 1 point 3 days ago

Thank you! glad u have the same mobo I'll be getting

DrLitch 1 Build 1 point 3 days ago

I would not even try OC'ing the 9900K unless it was a custom DIY loop and a case with plenty of air flow. I tried the 9900K on a mini ITX using dual radiators (92mm and 240mm) and that chip would not play nicely, even with fans maxed out past 2000rpm. I personally would feel less comfortable with an all in one. Why not try Swiftech or EKWB or Alphacool whom let you customize your own AIO (with a reservoir that mounts on the radiator). You can pick you rad thickness, tubing, and even motor (D5 pump being preferable) while having all the conveniences of an All in One. Will cost more but perform more as well.

That said, a 360mm radiator, particularly a thick one with a strong fan will likely push you into good territory.

This is not a knock on the AIO units out there, this is just relaying a personal experience than the i9-9900K does not play nicely with OC like, say, a typical i7.

Between the AIO units, they are mostly on a par with each other. I have owned units by Corsair, Deepcool, Cooler Master, and Thermaltake and they all did the job they were supposed to do.

mayatola 1 Build 1 point 3 days ago

He's only asking about 5GHz though. That's not pushing the 9900k very much. I'm using the NZXT H700 (which doesn't have the best air flow) and Kraken X72 and overclocked higher than that. With what you're asking, you could push it a lot harder, at least 5.5 or higher with a good motherboard.

DrLitch 1 Build 1 point 3 days ago

Yeah, 5GHz or below should be okay, it will not hit dangerous temps with the cooler the OP wants provided he has decent airflow in case.