add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel stock cooler.

Grommus

4 months ago

Howdy all,

Whats the thoughts on intels cpu stock coolers these days?

I will be using it on a i5 9400f and was just wonder will it be fine to use or should i look at an aftermarket 1?

Also should i replace the thermal compound that come pre applied?

Cheers.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

As thermals concerns, the stock Intel cooler on that processor should be able to achieve almost the same temps as the Wraith Spire cooler on the 2600X, at load.

That applies to an Ambient temp of 21°C and of course it can vary from build to build configuration.

The stock Intel cooler lacks as noise levels concerns though. It sounds like a jet! lol

So on that matter, if you can spend a reasonable amount of money, i would get an aftermarket cooler like the below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JEMXYQ/?tag=pcpapi-20

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

That cooler also looks better than the Intel stock cooler imo.

If it were me I would also swap out the Intel stock cooler even if it is good enough to keep the CPU within it's safe temps only due to aesthetics. Sure I won't spend a ton of money on a cooler that is overkill but I keep a $30 or less rule if it is for looks past the stock cooler. The one Mark5916 suggested is only $25 so is a good pick but sometimes you can also find the pure rock slim or the M9i on for a good sale too they also work. Any of those 3 coolers is more than ample for a locked i5 so get what is cheapest/looks better to you.

If you decide to use the stock cooler and you are not in a hot room and have good case airflow then you should have no trouble with it aside from a bit of cooler noise.

The stock Intel cooler lacks as noise levels concerns though. It sounds like a jet! lol

Mark, you should have seen the stock cooler I got when I still had my fx 8320 back in 2013. It was louder than my dishwasher and could hear it in my bedroom upstairs with my PC on the main floor in my living room. I have yet come across a CPU air cooler that loud. Specifying air coolers there as I can imagine some chiller refrigeration coolers may get that loud lol. I had that cooler out within a week and replaced with the hyper 212 evo. Would have been sooner but had to wait for shipping.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I went the other way wanted quiet and might OC some on amd. I got a hyper 612 has a slower fan and still larger to get rid of heat, got a case that fit it. When the box came and I opened it and about dropped it, I didn't believe it was THAT big its just plain huge. I wont see half the mobo under that thing.

Point I mean to make is larger (air) cooler than stock can run quieter, the tiny ones can be louder.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim cooler I do have some personal experience with and it is a super quiet cooler. It is currently being used in my sister's build that I helped her out with and it is overkill for her i5-8400 in terms of cooling. Sure it is not a cooler I would want to OC a higher end chip with but some smaller coolers are extremely silent too. That one only has a single 92mm fan.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info! :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube