add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Hey guys looking for some help with upgrade options

Bitebo

5 months ago

Hey guys I have listed below my current build, I am looking at upgrading the cpu to either the new 3rd gen or the 2700x am waiting to see about the chips that come out, my main question is is that the mobo that I have would this one be OK for the 3rd gen or should I change it when the 3rd comes out and if I was to change it would it be better to go Intel as I mainly use my pc for streaming and gaming and the odd bit of editing. Everything in the list below has been bought and the build is over a year old

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor £0.00
Thermal Compound ARCTIC - MX4 4 g Thermal Paste £0.00
Motherboard ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For £0.00
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For £0.00
Storage Samsung - 960 EVO 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive Purchased For £0.00
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £57.30 @ Amazon UK
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For £0.00
Video Card Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB AMP! Extreme Video Card Purchased For £0.00
Case NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For £0.00
Power Supply Corsair - RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For £0.00
Case Fan NZXT - Aer RGB140 71.6 CFM 140mm Fan Purchased For £0.00
Case Fan NZXT - Aer RGB140 71.6 CFM 140mm Fan -
Case Fan NZXT - AER RGB 2 52.44 CFM 120mm Fan £26.99 @ Amazon UK
Case Fan NZXT - AER RGB 2 52.44 CFM 120mm Fan £26.99 @ Amazon UK
Monitor Acer - GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor £0.00
Keyboard Corsair - K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard Purchased For £0.00
Mouse Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Purchased For £0.00
Headphones Kingston - HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset Purchased For £0.00
Other Phanteks Extension Cable Combo Kit - Red Purchased For £25.99
Other LG 24M38H 24 inch TN Monitor (1920 x 1080) 75hz Purchased
Other hue+ Purchased
Other A Very Patient Girlfriend Purchased
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £137.27
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-21 00:26 BST+0100

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

...as I mainly use my PC for streaming and gaming and the odd bit of editing.

Aren't you satisfied from the performance of the Ryzen 1700 in relation to the above tasks?

I guess you shouldn't face any problems with any of the above tasks.

The only thing that i would change, is a better board and a aftermarket cooler for overclocking the Ryzen 1700 and that's it.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply I forgot to add in that I got the noctua nh-d15s cooler and that's what I'm using atm,

What motherboard would you suggest?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I would first try an overclock with that board, and if encounter any voltage instabilities or even throttling at full load, then you could consider to change it. :)

Some boards to consider: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/XQgzK8,3YhKHx,Hy97YJ,t797YJ/

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Hi thanks for the reply again

I have the cpu oc to 3.7 at 1.3v and its running stable

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah these are decent numbers considering that's a 3 phase board.

Also 3.7GHz is way over the 3.1GHz speed that this processor achieves over all cores.

So a decent overclock i would say. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube