add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Coolermaster HAF XM - discontinued case compatible with modern AIO water coolers?

MrKennedy

6 months ago

Its all in the title but I'll clarify here.

I have an old HAF XM case that I would like to keep. I'm looking at using an AIO water cooler for my next CPU (either Ryzen 2 or 3 if they actually launch in July). I'm not 100% certain what size radiators the HAF XM can support at this point but for what its worth the case can support 2 200mm fans on the top and 1 in front.

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

It would be lovely if these build had relevant coolers, but thank you - I didn't consider using that function to compare individual builds.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome :)

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

If I wasn't mistaken you could fit an AIO rad at the top of the case and I do not see how it will suddenly become "incompatible" with AIOs. Unlike software with windows versions AIO compatibility is with the spacing of the screws that hold the radiator to the case and they are spaced to match the fans. There has been no rumours of the fan industry being turned upside down overnight with 120mm fans disappearing and I honestly can't see that happening in the foreseeable future either.

I see lots of builds that use the 240mm AIO types so that should work fine. 200mm radiator AIOs are not something I really ever hear about and even if they did exist I would not expect it to be any more than a very niche market in the PC world. The other idea is to go air cooling and a cooler like the Noctua NH-D15 or the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 can outperform many of the 240mm AIO coolers on the market. Best of all they have far less moving parts than an AIO so less noise and less things to possibly break down. Only downfall is that they take a lot of room but you have said room in a case that big.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the response, but maybe I should clarify....

At the time of the post I couldn't find any documentation about what size radiators it supported - the owners manual and box only show fan size support. The reference to 200mm was regarding fan size, not radiator. I figured that 2 200mm fans meant it could support ~ 240 to 280 ml radiators, but without knowing what dimensions are supported (HxWxL) I couldn't be certain that current AIO options would have the same radiator dimensions.

Ultimately I found an old review that had the information I was looking for.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube