add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU can't provide enough power when playing intensive games

thanhame

2 months ago

I constantly getting black screen, then a "no signal" message appear on the screen when playing demanding games, like Resident Evil 7. No power to keyboard and mouse, but the CPU, GPU, case fans and led lights would still be running. Furthermore, the only way to turn the computer on again was to physically flip the PSU switch or unplug then plug the PSU cable back in. I initially suspected that the problem could be the GPU, but after running a few tests on AIDA64 Extreme: stressing only GPU; stressing GPU+CPU; stressing everything at once but GPU, the computer remain stable even after 30 minutes of testing. However, when stressing everything including the GPU, I typically getting the black screen issue after around 3 minutes of running the test.

I then decided to unplug all the case fans except one to reduce the load and the problem stop appearing. In the light of that, it's probably safe to conclude that the PSU is causing the issue for my case.

My question is, should I RMA the PSU or was it wrong for me in the first place to expect the 550W gold PSU to be able to reliably power the system ?

My part list is as below, the system was built late September last year, so it's quite new.

Thank you for your time.

Update: The PSU was confirmed to be faulty by the retailer today. It died completely when they were running their tests earlier today.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $468.00 @ Shopping Express
Motherboard MSI - B450M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $115.00 @ PC Byte
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $167.00 @ Shopping Express
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $95.00 @ IJK
Video Card Inno3D - GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Twin X2 Video Card $789.00 @ Device Deal
Power Supply XFX - TS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply -
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link - TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter $17.00 @ Device Deal
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 77.57 CFM 140mm Fan $29.00 @ PCCaseGear
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 77.57 CFM 140mm Fan $29.00 @ PCCaseGear
Case Fan be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.33 CFM 120mm Fan $29.00 @ PCCaseGear
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1796.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-25 15:56 AEST+1000

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

I think there's something wrong, unless you have your GPU max overclocked. The 1080 shouldn't draw more than 200w and the CPU 100w. There might be very short peaks from the GPU but even it if hits 300w peak that still should leave 150w for the motherboard and the rest of the system. Just how much power are those fans drawing? If you have a good meter like a kill-a-watt, maybe measure power at the wall with and without the fans. I don't know if it's the PSU or something else in the system but 550w ought to be enough IMO.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Most 1080s will do 225-250w at max

Unless you download the XOC bios it will never do above 250w

Most PSUs will not shut off the second you hit max capacity, but it will if you sustain it.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That is a pretty bad PSU

I’m guessing it’s tripping OCP of some sorts

You really shouldn’t cheap out on a PSU

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Uhh that PSU has a 9+ from jonnyguru, it is an excellent unit.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Its pretty budget compared to other more recent PSUs

I can't find his review, so he must have deleted it.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

They redid their site and basically lost everything in the shuffle. They've been slowing restoring all the archives from backups for weeks. Its a mess.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I was a bit tight on budget indeed when trying to squeeze both the 2700x and gtx 1080 into my build, even the motherboard is a budget one and I gamed on a 1080p60fps screen for 2 months before upgrading to a better monitor. However, from the reviews, neither the PSU nor the motherboard is bad.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I expected it to be an excellent PSU, I read the reviews before buying. It was about 50% more expensive than an entry level 550W 80+ Bronze PSU as well, and come with 5 years warranty.

I need advice on whether or not I should do an RMA. If it turns out to be no issue and I simply chose the wrong capacity then I will be charge a fee as well as having to wait, last time I RMA a stick of RAM, it took 2 months for a new stick to be returned. There has been no issue in the past few days after removing the peripherals to reduce the load.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube