add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Dark Rock Pro 3 Fans

hdiraddo

6 months ago

So i built my PC back in 2016 ish and long story short I am moving my pc from IL to AZ and i have an old Dark Rock Pro 3, but im switching to an AIO with the az heat and more of a passion to want water cooling, but can i use those amazing silent fans on my case? does it just take a screw or are they only compatible with the clips on the side that hold it onto the massive heatsink

Just want to upgrade the fans in my system, please let me know if i am able to use those fans for my case without paying for like any adaptors or anything

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Usually you can, unless they have no screw holes or other way to mount them, and I assume they are a size you can use. They have same plug as any fan right? They might be pressure fans which may or may not matter since most cases flow much easier than a cooler, however they would still work.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Both fans are different sizes, one is a 120mm fan and the other is a 135mm fan.

• SilentWings BQT T12025-MF-PWM
  • SilentWings BQ SIW3-13525-Mf-PWM

If you were going to run a 240mm AIO I would just stick with the DRP3 as it can beat out some 240mm AIO coolers in both noise and performance.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

You could theoretically use the front fan on a 120/240/360mm radiator using 2 short screws, but it wouldn’t be optimal. Also, there is almost no aio that can outperform a drp3 or drp4, and they certainly wouldn’t be quieter, so I would save the money. Unless you have an absurdly hot cpu (FX 9570, non delidded skylake x/coffee lake) that air cooler will have plenty of cooling power whether it is in Illinois or Arizona.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I got the Dark Rock Pro 3 myself and I have a hard time making my CPU even hit 60c. That is from my Ryzen Stealth Build. With an r7 1800x @ 4.0 with 1.381v this is the cooling power the DRP3 has: https://imgur.com/a/EGednc4

You would almost swear my looking at those temps that it is under a liquid cooler but that is fully on air. Ambient temps was at 20c at the time of that test. Though the DRP3 cannot outperform a 360mm or larger AIO as it will have even more surface area in the radiator to dissipate heat into the air but if you are aiming for that kind of cooler I would wonder what you are actually trying to cool. Perhaps an i9-9900k @ 5.3GHz or overclocking a threadripper as far as it can go?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I have gotten my 8700k up to 5.3ghz at 1.42v with an air cooler... I think it would have to be something non-delidded to thermal throttle.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Either way the DRP3 and the newer DRP4 is a damn good air cooler! I can say since owing mine since early 2017 I am very pleased with my purchase.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you guys for the input I didn’t give the full story. I can’t use the drp3 anymore because I can’t mount it anymore. I lost the wrench to use and bent the life out of the mounting plate because it wasn’t the most compatible cooler for my motherboard. Rn I am using some $30 cooler from Frys to cool a 5930k so not burning hot but deserves a better cooler. I just wanted to mount the fans to the case as exaust or something. Thank you for the input but any recommendations on an aio that’s cheap enough to not break the bank but can keep my aging x99 build

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

You can buy a new mounting bracket from Be Quiet for cheap and if you screw in the bolts from the bottom you can get away without using the included wrench.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube