add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Noctua nh d15 se amf overkill for ryzen 2700x?

Bisket

6 months ago

Trying to decide on which noctua for my ryzen set up. Minor overclocking

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

For minor overclocking I can see that cooler being overkill as it is a really good cooler. I would not find it hard to imagine a 4.2 OC depending on silicon lotto. I would say either the NH-D15 or the DRP4 cooler is a solid choice for high end air cooling.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Thoughts on this build? Sort of a future proofed amd build give or take the vid card. Going 2080 not sure which one https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7LMWkd

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

And more noctua fans

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Well an 850w PSU is overkill as well you might save some money going with the 650w version of that PSU and save over $45. Even if you try and max out the OC on both the CPU and GPU I doubt you will be able to max out a 650w PSU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

I don't see anything that stands out to be bad in that build to really criticise. I just hope you got a good monitor to attach this PC to like a 1440p high refresh or a 4k, the former most recommended for gaming. CPU and GPU makes a good pairing, ram is standard, decent motherboard, nice case, plenty of SSD storage for several games.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

My aim was definitely 1440 with a 140 refresh monitor. And I'm not sure on the 2080 yet. I thought the 850 might be too much

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say look on youtube for benchmarks with either the 2070 or 2080 GPUs and see how they perform at 1440p on the games you play then use that to decide which one to get. Though the 2080 would last longer as games get more demanding. Either case both GPUs are good video cards, though well out of my price range lol.

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

If you like that cooler, no problem.

But considering the 2700X runs at pretty high boost clocks out of the Box with any decent and more affordable cooler...yes, that particular Noctua cooler is overkill for an 2700X. lol

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

I replaced the Wraith Prism on my 2700x with the Noctua NH-U14S

I'm not overclocking the CPU manually, but I am using AMD precision boost which is basically an automated overclock. I did not have any temperature issues with the stock cooler, but it was louder than I wanted under load.

My CPU temps are now approximately 9 to 13 C lower with the Noctua...and much quieter. I did look into the NH-D15 and NH-D15S, but they are obviously much larger and more expensive. From everything I saw, they only had a 1 - 3 degree improvement over the U14S.

I would try the stock cooler and see how it works out for you. I did not have to remove my motherboard when I changed out the stock cooler for the NH-U14S.

[comment deleted]
  • 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Definitely helped thanks. Been looking for tips on this build. Amd waiting for the new chip https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7LMWkd

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $292.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Scythe - Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler $47.99
Motherboard ASRock - X470 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard $164.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill - Flare X 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $94.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB ROG Strix Gaming Video Card $822.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower Case $108.41 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $84.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1752.14
Mail-in rebates -$25.00
Total $1727.14
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-30 14:14 EDT-0400

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube