add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would this build work? The power supply is worrying me.

TheRabster1428

2 months ago

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/TheRabster1428/saved/CyrsZL

I'm afraid that 900W might be too much or too less, I want it to be how it is, except as cheap as possible at the same time, I don't want to mess up on the power supply. The estimated wattage is not accurate and other websites are pretty complicated and I don't know how to use them that well as I'm new to this. I used a website which gave me around 850W while I was missing stuff I didn't understand.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

550w would be plenty with room to spare. Put a 550w Seasonic Focus Gold into it, for under CA$100, and use the difference towards adding an SSD into your build. The Corsair RMx mentioned by root_user is a good one as well.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm afraid that 900W might be too much or too less

Except for "overpaying," too much is generally not a problem with most high-quality units these days. Running a unit too close to its rating or too far below can make for less-than-ideal efficiency, but it's not a big deal with a good modern PSU. (Sometimes units of the same line with higher power ratings will have slightly more aggressive fan curves, but it depends on the particular PSUs.)

I used a website which gave me around 850W while I was missing stuff I didn't understand.

PSU calculators tend to be very inaccurate. You don't need an 850W+ unit for your linked build. That Solid Gear 900W unit also doesn't seem that reputable.

Here's an alternative:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/2HbwrH/corsair-rmx-2018-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

There is no way in hell that PC would ever draw 850w from the wall, and you could probably get away with a 500w psu. That being said, I still wouldn't recommend that PSU to anyone, as solid gear is not a very reputable brand. Go with something like this. It will supply more than enough power and it also won't burn your house down.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That psu needs to be replaced, It is a bomb.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $479.99 @ Memory Express
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard MSI - Z370-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $144.99 @ Amazon Canada
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $102.99 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB XC GAMING Video Card $289.99 @ Memory Express
Case Cooler Master - MasterBox Pro 5 RGB ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon Canada
Power Supply BitFenix - Formula Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $89.90 @ Newegg Canada Marketplace
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit $89.00 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1436.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-01 09:47 EDT-0400

Decide to massively fix the issues the list had like buying the gtx 1060 when the 1660 is cheaper and faster, that power supply was utter garbo so got you a bitfenix psu that's far better quality as you don't need 850w for that system. It can probs work with 450w of decent quality though cutting it close. Also you can get faster ddr4 for not much more and I assume you'll be fine without a ssd.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

My .02 I would def try to fit a 512gb intel 660 m.2 for an OS drive in there, or similar, at about $60us right now. I would not build a new PC without at least a sata ssd, but the 660 is about same price and 3x faster than sata. Unless the CAN price is much higher...yes its 85. Or you could drop to a 250gb range that is still plenty for an OS drive, even a 240 sata ssd is only about $40 and would be 6x faster than a hdd and is a huge difference in performance loading/booting over a hdd.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube