add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What type of CPU Cooler should I go with?

Spartan6056

7 months ago

So I'm finally upgrading my CPU as well as some other components. I'm getting rid of my i5-4690k and getting an i7-9700k because I plan on upgrading my GPU next summer and don't want a bottleneck (also my 4690k is getting old). Since it doesn't come with a cooler like my i5 did, I was wondering what type of cooler I should get (Liquid vs Air).

For some information, I don't really have much experience with overclocking (I almost bricked my computer with my old FX-9590) so I don't plan on messing with the factory settings. I will be running games that will put it under load though. I have a case with a window so neatness is something to consider for me. I'd rather not have a vomit colored Noctua cube like I did with my 9590. I wear headphones most of the time so I'm okay if it's a little noisy. I've never used a liquid cooler before so I was wondering if that would be worth it in this case. The thing I'm most worried about liquid coolers is reliability and if there is a significant risk of a leak as well as how easy it is for someone who has no liquid cooling experience to install.

Current Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qrxDYT

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 5 points

Air cooling is entirely sufficient for a 9700K. I think Noctua colors look great, but if you don't like them, there's beQuiet Dark Rock 4, a couple different Thermalright's, Reeven Ouranos, Scythe Mugen 5 or Fuma, Cryorig H5 or R1.

Some black construction paper will fix your problem with the case window. :-)

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a 4690k oc'd to 4.4ghz and have been at 4.4 for 3 years. I've only used a cryorig H7 (recently upgraded to the H7 quad lumi). I play world of tanks (a cpu intensive game) and my cpu never crosses 52c and usually stays beneath 1000 rpms which means very quiet.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been extremely happy with the Noctua NH-U14S.

It is almost on par from a cooling temperature standpoint (1 to 3 degree difference) with the larger NH-D15 and NH-D15S coolers without being overwhelming in size (doesn't cover memory slots) and costs a lot less. The NH-U12 is also a good choice.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't OC a lot any of the top air coolers should work. I went with a coolermaster hyper 612, its huge 6 pipe and quiet, can always put a faster or second fan on it, price was right, and didn't care about looks that much its just plain alum color. It is HUGE so be careful of height issues had to get a wider case to fit. I will OC but not high voltage. Read in some forums that heavy users were having pumps fail in soon as 2 years, that seemed to be most common issue for the AIOs. Since my PC is sometimes left on or doing idle things (browsing) and plan to have it way over 5yrs, I figure air was better for me. You also need to fit the radiator in your case, mine can so I could buy one for an upgrade if I change my mind. This cooler is quiet even on full speed, but is a silence case. Not had time to get a game going on it, its just a 2400g apu. The mid size air coolers can work well too but some make more noise the smaller they are. AIO has a cool factor too, its all in what you want/need.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you get at least a 360mm aio, aios are generally for aesthetic and air coolers will perform better & quieter for the price. There are exceptions like 120mm aio for a small form factor itx build. So if u don't care too much for aesthetic then get an air cooler.

• 7 months ago
  • 0 points

I went from air to liquid cooler (AIO) in this last build (Nov. 2018) and so far I've no complaints. The leakage issue had been a worry for me but now I'm sold to the idea of liquid all the way. It's quieter for sure, and keeps my temps below 70C during heavy missions. I chose mine by sifting through purchase reviews off different sites and overall appearance. (Corsair H115i Pro)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You chose a great cooler!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahah someone felt offended and downvoted my comment. I hate keyboard warriors

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol wow, eh? some people can be so petty. I fixed and added another

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thx

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube