add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is a 120GB SSD and a 2TB HDD necessary for gaming and video editing?

FierceDeity021

2 months ago

I'm only getting a smaller sized SSD to install Windows and a couple of games. The rest of the 2TB goes to storing other stuff like clips, software, etc.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 5 points

There's really no point wasting time with anything smaller than a 480GB SSD at this point. The prices have come down so much that anything smaller is actually a terrible value.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say 120GB is too small as a boot drive. I think Windows is about 25GB but I hear newer updates will take up more space. Then it depends on what software you are installing on it. Plus remember, you need to leave 30% of the drive empty in order to maintain its high speeds.

I would go with at least a 250GB boot drive.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

SSD's are getting cheaper. a 120GB SSD formatted leaves you with about 111GB of free space.

Today, one AAA single game can be over 100GB install. Get a much larger SSD.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Necessary, no, you can do all that stuff on an HDD. Preferable, yes. SSDs are amazing and I'm a firm believer that more SSD space equals more happiness. And you're only hurting yourself getting a tiny SSD in 2019 when you can get a 1TB NVMe drive for $100.

(I'm personally never buying a HDD again, 4.5TB of SSD space on my machine).

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

(I'm personally never buying a HDD again, ...).

Amen to that. The only HDD's I have left are the 18 or so creaky old UltraSCSI drives that are connected to the Sun Ultra 60, and it gets powered up maybe twice a year now. Even my frankenstein hadoop cluster made out of craigslist rejects has SSD. I do understand that hard drives still have a place if you need 2-3 terabytes and up, or are on a budget, but yecch.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure, HDDs have a place for some users, they are still cheaper per GB. I think for a lot of users it's still just a case of SSDs cost more per GB. Is the additional speed really worth the cost. And a lot of users haven't really cared about storage for years. When SSDs were too expensive, HDD performance was still dismal and it hardly mattered to talk about compared to all the fun/flashy stuff and it was cheap. So convincing users that storage performance matters, and it's worth paying extra to get some high performance storage is a bit of a climb. After all I see it all the time, users "not caring" if Windows loads a bit slower, or games load a bit slower. It's hard to get people to understand that there's a benefit every time you access the disk, and users tend to access the disk quite a bit. It's definitely something people only tend to appreciate once they've experienced it, and they've got to buy in first. But at least the tide is turning.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well you can get a decent budget NVMe SSD for less than an 860 evo of the same size now, and it's going to be quite a bit faster. The 860 evo is great, I have a couple of 850 evos. But there's lots of interesting options now.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes 120GB it is okay with caveat that large 70GB plus files on the SSD will be out of the question.

In terms of value 120GB does not make sense unless you got it for a song, i.e. less than the price of a 12" Pizza at your favorite restaurant/take away. I personally shy away from SSD's smaller than 960GB nowadays. Here is a real beauty => Corsair MP510 960GB NVMe drive is faster and cheaper than a 256GB OCZ drive I purchased in 2016 for my Mac. Intel have a 2TB SSD (I think it is called the 660p) for the insane price of $209 (although the device does have a nasty slow down when writing large files). I have seen 1TB 2.5" SSD's flip for under $100. SSD's are remarkably affordable nowadays.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

1TB SSD's are pretty expensive though. I can only fit a 512GB 660p SSD unless I cut my RAM down to 8GB.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

They're more expensive than HDDs, but 1TB SSDs now cost half as much as 500GB SSDs just 2-3 years ago. Although not much you can do if the cost pushes you out of your budget. Nothing is going to stop you from upgrading down the road when 1TB SSD's are $75...

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Not only that, but the 3TB (which happens to cost the same as a 2TB, at least right now on pcpartpicker...) HDD is ~$50, or roughly the cost to go from 500GB to 1TB SSD. I still favor HDDs, but that is enough to send many people into the "I'll just take a big NVMe Flash drive and forget there was ever magnetic media".

Of course, video can take a lot of room, so you can justify that 3TB HDD by staying with the 512GB (or smaller) drive.

One thing to note before buying a big SSD: check the "when full" benchmarks. If you are reducing your total amount of storage, I'd be even more careful about how the SSD acts when full. A bunch of "name brand" TLC/QLC NVMe drives work fine, until you actually use them for your storage and they slow waaay down.

PS: with your original strategy, the crucial 240GB crucial 500 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mdc48d/crucial-bx500-240gb-25-solid-state-drive-ct240bx500ssd1 is the lowest I'd go for a SSD. ~$26 for 240GB is hard to beat, and this comes from Crucial, not some cheap reseller. Make sure you look at the 3TB drives as well, those things are within a dollar of the same brands 2TB. $75 for a working strategy, and probably enough to make sure you can swing the 16GB and whatever pluses you need...

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Best price per GB right now is in the 1TB size.

If you're video editing, an NVME drive might benefit you though and the intel 660p is a great value. On newegg the 1TB version is only $92.99 with code EMCTAUY22

What's your current build/budget?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going for a budget of $900-$1000 ($20 over maybe). I'm thinking of getting the 1TB 660p.

I made some white themed builds involving two different GPUs, the 1660ti and the RTX 2060.

GTX 1660ti:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $161.98 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI - GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card $279.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $59.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $921.72
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $901.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-14 23:39 EDT-0400

RTX 2060:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $161.98 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $79.99 @ Amazon
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING OC PRO WHITE Video Card $379.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA - 600B 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $59.89 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1021.72
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1001.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-14 23:39 EDT-0400
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Either of those are great build's. I'd personally swing towards the 2060 build. Triple fan and more performance. Use the code above from newegg and you can save some on that intel 660p. Adding a HDD down the road for mass storage is super easy to archive footage.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube