add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wattage (Please Help)

Drakkon

2 months ago

I have been trying to find a wattage calculator and they all seem to be inconsistent about the answers so I need your help as to how much power I need in my power supply. My system: Intel core i9 9900k, Asus rog 2080ti strix, Samsung 970 EVO m.2 ssd, G skill rgb 4x8gb DDR4, Be quiet dark rock pro 4, 6x120mm fans, 1x140mm fan, Gigabyte auros master MOBO. Thank you so much!!

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

That's because wattage calculators are very inaccurate and are not to be trusted.

That being said, a quality 650w psu should be enough for your system.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/B8RFf7/bitfenix-formula-gold-650w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bp-fm650ulag-7r

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you need to know how much power your rig needs, then check review of those parts and see what power consumption it has.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much!!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Add all of your parts to the System Builder on this site. It will show you your estimated wattage. Then you can determine the best PSU for your needs. Typically it is recommended to be in the 50 - 65% range of the estimated wattage (e.g. if 300w estimated, a 550w PSU would be perfect).

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The wattage calculater here isn't that good as well as it only uses tdp for the estimated wattage and I'm pretty damn sure that the i9 9900k uses much more than 95w on load (even more when you start to overclock it)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

matches my gaming watt usage exactly :) see my specific post in this thread

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Is the Seasonic Prime 1000 titanium overkill... sry first time building a pc. Also, if I have too big of a power supply how much extra heat will it generate. And... if I went for a 80+ titanium psu, which one is better, evga 1000t2 or Seasonic prime 1000 titanium?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Both units are roughly the same quality and performance wise but still both are extremely overkill.

Power supplies will only generate as much wattage as its needs so it won't make any extra heat.

I recommend getting the psu I have listed above.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thank you!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

If you really want to spend on an 80+ titanium, the Seasonic Ultra series are great. I can't really say they are worth the extra money though unless you have specific goals like minimum heat generation or fanless operation. The Bitfenix PSU recommended by Granddy is a fine PSU.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, sry for bothering, but which do you prefer? Evga vs Corsair vs Seasonic vs BitFenix

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont go by brand but Corsair and BitFenix makes cheaper but high quality psus compared to others.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay! Thx :)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

"find a wattage calculator" you dont have to look too far...

After installing my new 2080 TI, my Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) crashed my system that also included warning sound alarm.

I updated my build, here at PCPartPicker and it stated I need 527 watts to fully run my system. So my OLD UPC 390 watt, can no longer handle my new system.

I made this purchase of a 900 watt Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qvVBD3/cyberpower-ups-cp1500pfclcd

This UPS included a digital readout of my current watt usage per second. Guess what? When gaming, I am using what PCPartPicker stated my system wattage would be.......+/-5% of 527 watts. No wonder my old 390 watt UPC crashed. I had no idea the watts would now be in that range. AND it matched my build watts here exactly.

So in my case, pcpartpicker watts is exactly what I am using when gaming. This was my surprise for the day :)

edit, to stay on topic, this is my current power supply from 2014 with if I remember a 10 year warranty

EVGA - SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000 W 80

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dJ6BD3/evga-power-supply-220p21000xr

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

put together your build here and see what pcpartpicker states your watt usage?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube