add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with raid on nas

GeneticParadox

2 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GeneticParadox/saved/7C9hyc

This is my nas i plan to put 2 bigger drives in it (6-12 tb x2) for some backup protection how should i go about this.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Systems > Part List Opinions Wanted" to "Hardware > Storage".

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you have 2 drives and want redundancy RAID 1 will fit. You will get the space of one drive but it basically mirrors both drives in case if you have a drive fail. Even with RAID 1 I would recommend to still do your backups.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

With 4 (or 3) "big" drives I'd recommend RAID 5. With the pairs of drives listed you can still go with RAID1. RAID 5 means "one drive is reserved to correct errors. RAID 1 means "half your drives are reserve to correct errors". With 2 drives, RAID 1 makes sense due to simplicity (with 4 drives RAID1 really doesn't make sense unless you really want to stay with Windows, especially since you can do RAID1 with your motherboard).

Note that with Win10 [pro?], it looks like you can't boot RAID, so you'll put your OS on your 1TB drive (I'll assume that it is already there). Possibly a better idea would be to use FreeNAS or XigmaNAS as your OS, thus giving you the option to use ZFS.

And of course this doesn't get rid of the need for backups. RAID just means higher uptime while your filesystem is working.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well yes with raid 5 you get striping with parity so you get the combined space of all drives minus 1 as usable storage and the hardware redundancy to allow 1 drive to fail without losing your data. Raid 6 takes this a bit further and has 2 drives for redundancy. You do get more usable storage per dollar spent with raid 5 and I used to use it years ago. Now I just do multiple HDD backup with a USB 3.0 HDD dock for all my data including many TB of TV shows and movies and an extra level of redundancy with cloud backup for irreplaceable things like pics and documents. Having backup outside your house for things that can never be replaced is IMPORTANT.

I say that because things like home burglaries and house fires are things that can happen and can result in any local backups and such being lost forever. Don't say it will never happen to you because you never know what may happen. Last year someone set my back deck on fire. It was from a string of arsons in my area and I was the 3rd place hit in a row.

I got a new deck thanks to insurance but I came very close to losing my townhouse from it. I will link some pictures here and you will see how close it got. Now on the last pic it shows my new rebuilt deck with the same design as my old deck and it has a privacy barrier which is what made the fire scary. In pic 3 the fire was started by the support post on the left side but you can see burnt wood all the way to against the brick of the house. The fire went right up that barrier and the part away from the house the flames were as high as the roof but on the side of the house the fire didn't make it up the barrier yet. It would have only taken an extra couple minutes at most for the fire to get that high and into my roof setting the townhouse on fire.

I got lucky and a neighbour called the fire department while the fire was still small and was more smoke rather than flames. They got to my house within 4 minutes and by then the fire had spread to the point you see in the pics. I was fortunate that someone noticed and called 911 as early as they did. Too bad the arsonist has not been caught yet. This wasn't from any personal feuds as far as I know as the other people hit have nothing in common with each other or with me aside from location. This is why off site backup of any truly irreplaceable data is important.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

thanks. So does it show as just 1 drive?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Yes it will show as one drive in Windows. 2x6TB hdds in raid 1 will show as a single 6TB HDD. 3x6TB hdds in raid 5 will show as a single 12TB HDD and 4x6TB hdds in raid 5 will show as a single 18TB HDD.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks very much.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube