add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NH-D15 installation issues

subuu

6 months ago

Hi all,

I've been starting to build my powerhouse of a machine, and with the Intel i9-9900K I thought it'd be wise to invest in a good cooling solution. I've opted for the Noctua NH-D15, as I only read great reviews about it. However when installing, I ran into an issue.

After following the installation instructions to the tee (at least, as far as I know). The screws of the heatsink do latch onto the screws of the mounting kit separately, when applying just a bit of pressure. However, when (after just barely tightening one of them) - the other screw becomes simply IMPOSSIBLE to get to latch to the mounting screws. I've tried all configurations, I've applied amounts of pressure - that frankly made me uncomfortable - to the motherboard. But nothing seems to work. I'm kind of at a loss on what to do next. My motherboard is a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro, and I'm adding the NH-D15 to a i9-9900K processor. If it helps, I've also made a short video to show what's happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELFiF91kFI&feature=youtu.be.

Does someone know what might be going on here? All the help I could get would be appreciated!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I just installed the Noctua UH14S on my AMD 2700x a couple weeks ago. Same mounting system and it was a little tricky. I definitely had to apply some pressure to get the mounting screw to start threading onto the mounts. One suggestion would be to use two screwdrivers and attempt to put pressure on both and try threading at the same time.

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

You screwed the one screw partially in, and then the second one didn't go in.

Unscrew that screw and and try the other one.

If it goes partially in, that means the second screw must be forced more.

Maybe more that you are comfortable with.

But just put more force to the second one.

And don't screw the first one all the way in. That would make it impossible to the get the other screw in.

Video Sequence: 4:00-4:10: You are not pressing here, you just turning the screw and nothing else. lol

For the second screw, you should just press the screwdriver down from above with pressure and slowly.

The screwdriver should be placed as vertically as possible and just push (but push) the screw down.

Last but not least, use that angled screwdriver that the cooler came with and not you own screwdriver.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey Mark, thanks for your reply.

I did try both of these configurations, however either way around produced the same result. If I screwed the other one in first, then the opposite screw wouldn't screw in. I've also really pushed the limit on how barely the first screw latches on, and even with a lot of pressure on the other end I wasn't able to get this right (or the secured screw would pop-off, if it was just barely latched on).

I know in the video I didn't press all that hard, but that was mainly because I just wanted to illustrate it - I felt in my actual attempts that I had exerted enough pressure already, and I was getting worried about the pins on the bottom of the motherboard.

That being said, coming Sunday I'll have the chance to tinker some more with this, so I'll give it another try with the screwdriver that came with the cooler. I did opt for my own, as I didn't think that one wasn't all that ergonomic, but I'll see if it helps to press the screwdriver itself down really hard as opposed to trying to get the whole block to curve that way.

Many thanks once again for your reply!

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Good luck man!

If you still can't mount the heat-sink, then the only solution i see, is to get another CPU cooler. ¯\(ツ)

I mean we don't want to harm the CPU or even the motherboard by using too much force, at the end.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube