add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Canadian residents Beware of Samsung SSDs!!

Transit_75

6 months ago

Amazon.ca is not an authorized retailer.

Samsung Canada has an authorized vendor list when it comes to Solid State Drives. Warranty work will be denied on defective drives unless purchased from retailers who are on Samsung Canada's official vendor list. As such, model numbers with -AM are American devices and are exempt from warranty claims. You want an SSD with a model number containing -BW. I spoke with Samsung Canada Customer Care and was told these retailers are on the official vendor list, both online or in-store:

newegg.ca, bestbuy.ca, walmart.ca, memoryexpress.ca

There are other authorized vendors but these are the ones that I remember best. Before you buy, it is worthwhile to check Samsung Canada's website since information is subject to change anytime without notice.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Amazon.ca (or Amazon.com) often provides counterfeit items (as EVOs) and Samsung is likely tired of it.

Google "Amazon counterfeit" for more than you ever wanted to know about the fiasco. I'll admit that in general I can't feel bothered by cries of "counterfeit goods" while living in a country that offshored nearly all manufacturing (thus often making the difference between "counterfeit" and "legitimate" absolutely impossible to determine without examining the manufacturing contracts), but with Amazon you can often get some badly disguised fakes.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Can't that also be due to how Amazon works? I mean many items as you browse through are listed by other sellers and not sold directly by amazon. Kind of like ebay but Amazon also has their own stock they get and sold over amazon prime. Any time you allow people to sell their own stuff through a site the changes of getting fakes does go up. We expect to filter through fakes on sites such as ebay, wish, aliexpress, etc but you do have to be wary about the sellers on Amazon. At least they have a good guarantee if a product turns out to be a scam.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I would have to agree with you on this. Luckily for me, during my Google/component research phase prior to purchase, I came across some articles from some very unhappy people who found out the hard way. I feel badly for them. After all, who really checks the model/serial numbers especially when being sold at a discount from a leading retailer?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

HI good to know , but i can't find a 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 with BW on it. newegg memory express and walmart only have the AM version. also i found this one on amazon, Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 250GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7S250BW) .

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

And that sadly is too small for most people :(

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for delayed reply, been working away from home lately:

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX72255

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/samsung-250gb-970-evo-plus-nvme-m2-internal-ssd/PRD2AGC3P5TA35L

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX72257

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/samsung-500gb-970-evo-nvme-m2-internal-ssd/PRD6FOTJEP8HQ15

Also important to note, places like Memory Express offer in house warranty plans for cheap if you wish to purchase for peace of mind. Basically they deal with Samsung on your behalf by simply replacing your drives hassle-free. If you have a Memory Express near you I'd recommend buying from them. Samsung does make very high quality products with a very low failure rate, however not even they are immune from devices prematurely failing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube